Ashigaru

Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:52 pm

http://imperialassembly.com/news.php?news=120

Min-Hee Sensei

+0
+0
+1

Unicorn Clan

Your Personalities will not move to battlefields without enemy units. You gain 1 more Honor for each card you destroy during battle resolution.

Battle,Image: Straighten your target Follower. If you have the highest Family Honor, you may take an additional action.

"You, my student, will learn by doing."

-------------
Courtesy of the Kobune Port.
Mantis Clan • Coyote • Shugenja • Earth • Trickster • Nonhuman • Spirit • Storyteller • Progressive
Why drinking and horses don't mix.
Image: The table is yours.

Shinjo Dae-Hyun
White Guard

Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:48 pm

Not what I expected out of our new sensei... but I like her!

Min-Hee definitely changes the way our military decks play. Thoughts?
Bushi • Commander • TacticianCavalry

Nomad Chronicler
White Guard

Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:27 pm

You cannot move to battlefields without enemy units, but you can still force sub-optimal play by assigning multiple places and choosing where to make your stand. This should be fine. I'm interested to see that our Commander and Battle Maiden sensei is one and the same, and the 5 starting Family Honor should be interesting to play. It certainly explains some of our higher-honor personalities recently. I'm a little sad that the extra action is bound to having higher honor, since it will not help at all against honor rockets. But eh.

Summary: Yeah, I'd build a deck around this.
Moto Khedai, WC IV

Wielder of too-many words.

"Khedai casts Castle of Earth, calling seven raises. Success. A massive, sturdy, imposing wall of text rises forth at his bidding."-Iuchi Chiwa

Moto Ess-Ry
Hohei

Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:50 pm

There's certainly a deck there. Dropping some of the blank expensive cav things for Okano, 20f battle maiden with a range attack and some other options that haven't been heavily considered.

Will fight better, but outmaneuver worse.

Iuchi Toshimo
White Guard

Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:56 pm

+1 PH!!!1!1!!
YAY!

Utaku Guilin
Ashigaru

Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:47 am

Three words: Modern Battle Maidens. Tying Crane for starting honor, and gaining buckets of honor every battle. If your army of three Maidens beats their tower unit of 3 cards and a spud, you gain 7 honor. Brutal.

Kakita Yuha
Eta

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:41 am

Crane? I'm pretty sure we start at 6. Maybe you mean Dragon? Its a good Sensei, although it doesnt do much when you go second, it has no drawback, also makes easier to reach honor requirements.

Shinjo Dae-Hyun
White Guard

Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:08 am

Kakita Yuha wrote:Crane? I'm pretty sure we start at 6. Maybe you mean Dragon? Its a good Sensei, although it doesnt do much when you go second, it has no drawback, also makes easier to reach honor requirements.
Yeah, I think Dragon is what you meant.

Min-Hee definitely has potential.

Pros

+1 FH gives us the ability to start first against Dragon, Unicorn, Crab, Mantis, Scorpion, and Spider.

At 5 FH we're one proclaim away from anyone in our clan with above starting FH Requirement, like Naleesh or Kamoko.

Though the ability on Min-Hee is only a straighten against Lion, Phoenix, and Crane it will give us tempo in military match-ups against 6 other clans (us included).

Honor is a more viable switch condition since Min-Hee doesn't require keywords and board control to work like Tselu.

Cons

We can no longer take provinces unopposed. This is huge however I think the drawback could be worth it depending on how the deck develops. The ability to divide your opponents resources and force sub-optimal defense is still there however it will take more thought than before.

Cards like Accessible Terrain and Back to the Front will not work if there are no enemy units at the current battlefield. This isn't so much of a problem against military as it could be against Honor and Dishonor.

Feel free to add to this if there's anything that I missed.

Utaku Guilin
Ashigaru

Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:29 am

No, I meant Crane. I'm talking about the Modern format. POTM has a 5 starting honor, +1 makes 6.

kakita_shiro
Ashigaru

Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:13 am

Utaku Guilin wrote:No, I meant Crane. I'm talking about the Modern format. POTM has a 5 starting honor, +1 makes 6.
What Crane deck in Modern isn't running Embassy anyway?

Back to topic, I like it in a mixed infantry and Cavalry deck where you only really need Cavalry as a targeting keyword for effects like the Stronghold or Versatile Army- a deck that WANTS to be opposed and is looking to win a big battle.

Shinjo Dae-Hyun
White Guard

Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:45 pm

Utaku Guilin wrote:No, I meant Crane. I'm talking about the Modern format. POTM has a 5 starting honor, +1 makes 6.
Sorry, makes much more sense now! I've really gotta give modern a try; seems like fun.
kakita_shiro wrote:Back to topic, I like it in a mixed infantry and Cavalry deck where you only really need Cavalry as a targeting keyword for effects like the Stronghold or Versatile Army- a deck that WANTS to be opposed and is looking to win a big battle.
I'm looking forward to trying this out. It's practically been ingrained into my playstyle to avoid opposed battles until my 3rd attack however Min-Hee changes this completely. Since you can no longer avoid opposition is Min-Hee better geared toward an offensive build or the honor switch? I've only been playing since the tail end of Emperor (Coil Block) so I never got to play Battle Maidens, which she resembles most, so I don't really have much experience to base this build off of.

Iuchi Toshimo
White Guard

Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:38 am

Shinjo Dae-Hyun wrote:
I'm looking forward to trying this out. It's practically been ingrained into my playstyle to avoid opposed battles until my 3rd attack however Min-Hee changes this completely. Since you can no longer avoid opposition is Min-Hee better geared toward an offensive build or the honor switch? I've only been playing since the tail end of Emperor (Coil Block) so I never got to play Battle Maidens, which she resembles most, so I don't really have much experience to base this build off of.
People don't defend against attacks without a plan. The thing is, you can lose the whole game if you lose even part of your army. Sometimes "army hunting" is better than taking a province. Unicorn derives its power from the options double cav gives us. People wise to Unicorn know this and plan accordingly. Min-Hee's trait is a liability when you can't move away from a battle you will lose.

Now, Min-Hee tells you to fold your arms and slam your junk on the table. Get the jump on opposed battles during deck construction. Everyone should have a battle action, so no Okaiu, etc. That's not the style this deck is going for. You want attrition - Battle actions on the table and that get used first while you sculpt and maintain a good fate hand. While this is generally true for all military, our personality base makes it particularly difficult for us.

Once that base is together, you'll have a better idea whether the deck wants to be pure military or switch. Welcome to playtesting!

MotoKCi
White Guard

Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:47 am

I'm neutral about this card. Losing early unopposed is bad against certain builds (e.g. Honour running, attrition military).

Fair to say an entire redesign of philosophy is needed to optimise this sensei. I picture a mix of the most efficient infantry/cav guys with range attacks and movement as the base, and cram in every 5ph personality I had discounted due to HR.
Serving the community

ThA Available Now!

New Zealand Kotei Winner 09,10,11,13,14,15
Best sportsman 2007

Moto Subodei
White Guard

Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:33 am

MotoKCi wrote:I'm neutral about this card. Losing early unopposed is bad against certain builds (e.g. Honour running, attrition military).

Fair to say an entire redesign of philosophy is needed to optimise this sensei. I picture a mix of the most efficient infantry/cav guys with range attacks and movement as the base, and cram in every 5ph personality I had discounted due to HR.
This sums it up for me. It is a new approach to building decks, which is good. I like that it supports two themes at the same time. The thing with the drawback though is I don't think it drastically hurts either the commander or battle maiden deck that much. I think for the strong big unit cav decks though, you are better at sticking with taitaken sensei.

Some of the commander personalities are infantry now, Paikao and the new fella jengzan, so your approach to that deck I think will be mid range deck.

The Bmaidens have the option to switch off it which is really nice. I think im going to build battle maidens out of it with lots of harpoon. It replaces ichigo, which is what I have been running a while now out of it, and it gives me access to personalities like kazue, who now has a box hr with it, which is pretty big.

RavenSoul
Nikutai

Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:35 am

Yup, 5 family honor is huge for personality selection.
The battle action is.... minimal is some cases and useless in others.
Remenbering the old mantra of: remove from play is better then destroy, wich is better then Ranged or melees, wichis better then send home wich is better then bow. This gives a bit more power to the lower spectrum, even if you consider there is a follower with repeatable RA. So it gives you some pocket change when you want a paycheck.
Im still not convinced it is fast enogh to survive the first opposed battle but it seems closer to Celestial where you emptied your hand to win one battle and that had to propel you to the win, else you got screwed.
Have to see how strong commander abilities can be here and if its worth anyway.

Edit: Question. If you sudden movement an unopposed personality does it go home or the whole action fails and it stays where it is because the other doesnt move?
Unicorn Clan • Samurai • Chui • Reserve • Reverse-Destined

I was Ide Ibiki at WC IV

Shinjo Dae-Hyun
White Guard

Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:51 am

RavenSoul wrote:Question. If you sudden movement an unopposed personality does it go home or the whole action fails and it stays where it is because the other doesn't move?
If you're playing with Min-Hee sensei the action fails because the personality being moved in would be unopposed and her trait negates the movement of that personality; which in turn negates the effects of the action because both personalities must be able to move in order for sudden movement to resolve.

kakita_shiro
Ashigaru

Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:53 am

RavenSoul wrote:Edit: Question. If you sudden movement an unopposed personality does it go home or the whole action fails and it stays where it is because the other doesnt move?
The whole action fails.

Moto Ess-Ry
Hohei

Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:22 am

As a straight commander sensei, it's drawback (one of the proposed Onyx changes for the Cav mechanic) is pretty much worse than Taitaken or Aranai in every aspect except letting you first buy one relevant person.

For a new, battle maiden commander hybridsh punch your face over and over deck that just goes "all my guys are overcosted but whatever I've dealt with that on my non uniques for 20 years, why stop now", it's got potential.

• Information