Card Artwork

The place for discussion of Art, Fiction and the RPG.

Moderators: Ide Yesugei, Moto Eiji, Moto Yoee, Shinjo Magistrates

Ide Yoshiya
White Guard

Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:06 am

Since the description of this section suggests talking about card artwork, I say let's. Who are some of your favorite artists? What card images are you the fondest of?

My top two favorites are both done by IFS. Within our clan at least, I would say that Utaku Yanai is the image I am proudest of overall, and it's fitting that she rides on a black steed, given how useless she comes off to a lot of players. Overall, though, I think the prettiest card in the game has to be Festival of Drifting Souls, especially given its significance within the cultural inspiration sphere of L5R.

Of course, in terms of sheer cuteness, I also have to mention Moto Chiang by Andy Hepworth. If only he weren't implied to be a badguy, I'd be in 100% approval of him. I have to keep reminding myself that he's not a shugenja, since everything about his picture makes me think otherwise.
Unicorn Clan Courtier Ambassador ∙ Cavalry

Moto Yoee
White Guard

Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:02 pm

Favourite art (all-time) top 10:

10- Otaku Naoko (M. Wibisono) - 10th position because it's not an actual card (and probably never will be), but I love this piece of art, especially the expression on her face.
9- Daigotsu Setsuko (T. Graham) - A bit creepy, but that's what makes this picture so good.
8- Utaku Remi (D. Baker) - A Shiotome charging/surfing on mountainside while chopping enemies to pieces with her blade? Awesome.
7- Utaku Yu-Pan exp2 (D. Baker) - Wonderful expression on her face, and the contrast between her standing proud on her horse while the two infantrymen around her protect themselves from arrows/bullets/whatever, it's simply priceless. Too bad the card artwork was cropped so bad and we can't see these details on the card.
6- Yoritomo Yashinko (D. Baker) - The proof that you don't need to be half-nude or to have huge breast to be cute and sexy.
5- Akasha (M. Wilson) - One of the best piece of artwork for our clan, imho.
4- Utaku Anhui (A. Hepworth) - She's not sexy, she doesn't wear fancy clothes, she doesn't have make up, she doesn't have cow-like breast... but she is what a "real" Shiotome looks like.
3- Bayushi Kachiko (M. Wilson)
2- Chuda Ruri exp (S. Argyle) - A masterpiece from Steve "the Eleventh Kami" Argyle.
1- Utaku Kohana exp (IFS) - Oh yeah... can't say anything else than AWESOME!

Oh my Lord of Death... there are only girls in my top 10.
Image Image

Emma-O
White Guard

Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:15 pm

In the Celestial environment I've got to say I love almost all of Stephanie Law's artwork. To me it has just the right amount of japanese balanced with the fantasy aspect and so encapulates a lot of what L5R is about.

Favourite card art in CE from the Unicorn clan I think it has to go to Yu-Pan ex2. It's gritty, the look on her face is perfect for a Daimyo, and I appreciate the fact that the horse actually looks like a horse.

I also like the Water Horse on Iuchi Hotaru's card... not so happy with his art but the horse is good :)

Overall I've not been too happy with art depicting a lack of armour on the characters in the latest printings. Coming back to the game after a long break and I was thinking 'what the hell happened to the laquer works in Rokugan, did they all get firebombed or something in a prior story arc' because all the female card art showed waaay to much flesh for warriors... after all katana's is sharp! :lol:

Ide Yoshiya
White Guard

Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:03 pm

inorite?

Seriously though, that's what first made me think of the "naughty tentacles" theme deck I posted. Warfare isn't the only reason to wear armor.

Moto Jahk-Fwah
White Guard

Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:18 am

Moto Yoee wrote: 4- Utaku Anhui (A. Hepworth) - She's not sexy, she doesn't wear fancy clothes, she doesn't have make up, she doesn't have cow-like breast... but she is what a "real" Shiotome looks like.
Do you like the card because you can enjoy the art without feeling guilty about enjoying the female form that is represented in it?

my favorite right now is utaku fujiko...although she looks like a white girl and not japanese, chinese, mongol or anything else, she is beautiful and the art is gorgeous, dynamic and very crisp.

Ide Yoshiya
White Guard

Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:15 am

Moto Jahk-Fwah wrote:
Moto Yoee wrote: 4- Utaku Anhui (A. Hepworth) - She's not sexy, she doesn't wear fancy clothes, she doesn't have make up, she doesn't have cow-like breast... but she is what a "real" Shiotome looks like.
Do you like the card because you can enjoy the art without feeling guilty about enjoying the female form that is represented in it?
A bold accusation to make of noble Yoee. The very title of battle maiden/shiotome strongly suggests that the women must take an oath of chastity at their gempukku, and anyone who would view them in a manner worthy of feeling "guilty" about it ought to be shunned from society. :P

Moto Jahk-Fwah
White Guard

Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:06 pm

Ide Marth wrote:
Moto Jahk-Fwah wrote:
A bold accusation to make of noble Yoee. The very title of battle maiden/shiotome strongly suggests that the women must take an oath of chastity at their gempukku, and anyone who would view them in a manner worthy of feeling "guilty" about it ought to be shunned from society. :P
I merely wished for explanation friend Ide. I myself am quite guilty of harboring shameful thoughts regarding our most respectable shiotome warriors and simply wished to delve deeper into honourable yoee's heart on the matter.

Ide Yoshiya
White Guard

Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:48 am

Moto Jahk-Fwah wrote:I merely wished for explanation friend Ide. I myself am quite guilty of harboring shameful thoughts regarding our most respectable shiotome warriors and simply wished to delve deeper into honourable yoee's heart on the matter.
Last edited by Ide Yoshiya on Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Coopernicus
Gunso

Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:13 am

Hez chekin out ur boobz.
2012 Fort Mill, SC Kotei Winner

Ide Yoshiya
White Guard

Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:40 pm

I was more referring to the card that artwork appears on, and what it does, but yeah. :P

Moto Jahk-Fwah
White Guard

Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:05 pm

Ide Marth wrote:I was more referring to the card that artwork appears on, and what it does, but yeah. :P
I thought you were putting my words into her mouth...I thought it fit rather well actually.

Ide Yoshiya
White Guard

Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:31 pm

True enough! Let's pretend that's what I did, then.

reinoe
White Guard

Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:48 pm

Coopernicus wrote:Hez chekin out ur boobz.
No that's this...

one tribe follower
White Guard

Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:53 am

I always liked the almost photographic style of mr Michael Komarck. I'm not sure if he ever did something outside Lotus edition. He should.

http://www.komarckart.com/ccg_l5r01.html

• Information