Unicorn Story Paths

A place for those from far and wide to present themselves to the Khan and engage those from far and wide in conversation.

Moderators: Moto Seals, Ide Yesugei, Utaku Hidaki, Shinjo Magistrates

Shinjo Yosama
Nikutai

Fri May 01, 2015 10:49 am

Exactly, our primary concern is still to protect the heimin, but we will not turn away help in this endeavor. We are sure to face some resistance. None are as swift, or as willing to help the common people, and this is what we want to show the Empire.

Shinjo Yosama

Narwhal Horse
Ji-Samurai

Fri May 01, 2015 10:56 am

But all of this is predicated on the Crane having acceptable story choice options. If their choices are less than stellar, then I do not see any real advantage of an alliance. If they DO have good story choice options, then I would begrudgingly welcome the '3rd path' option.

Lammia
Ji-Samurai

Fri May 01, 2015 10:51 pm

Shinjo Dae-Hyun wrote:
RavenSoul wrote:One more thing, KCi saved our Utaku Battle Maidens, but we still need to save our Stables. I love the thought of going full mobile, but... that is the one holding we definitly want to keep, i think. How mobile is a stable? I mean... The horses can be kept on the move, and we did bring them with us from the outside, but we may need to settle some mares somewhere, I think.
Good point. Shiro Shinjo, The Utaku Stables, The Ancestral Sword of the Unicorn, The Moto Death Priest School, and The Shinjo Magistrate School all remain unsaved.

We really need to secure a few wins to make our plan possible. Losing the Utaku Stables or the Shinjo Magistrate School would prove detrimental to path 1 and without our Death Priests/Shugenja our armies lose a lot of their power/mobility.

My only question is what plans story team has for Shiro Shinjo and our Ancestral Sword should they go unsaved? Also does anyone know who currently owns/wields the sword? My guess is that our current champion is it's owner but it may have the same fate as our Ancestral Armor, meaning that only a Shinjo can wield it after their family's honor has been restored.

How would we rank the importance of our remaining icons?
I believe the only Ancestral Sword currently in Ningen-do is the Ancestral Sword Sword of the Ki-Rin, but I could be wrong on that.
I need to to give a huge (and rather late) thank you to all Winter Court 4 Unicorn players, especially our fearless leader. Thank you.

Utaku Yukino - WCIV

Shinjo Kairu
White Guard

Sun May 03, 2015 5:31 pm

I wholeheartedly agree with Atreyu. Compassion is the way of our Kami and our clan. We should protect the people that cannot protect themselves.

I also believe that we should seek out allies both in and outside Rokugan. Not only will this event hurt the common folk, but we should also reach out to the minor clans. If we are going to be spreading out our forces across Rokugan we will need efficient and reliable communications with all of our forces. This is where our allies in the Bat clan come in. Formidable shugenja with strong assets and abilities in sending messages quickly and efficiently. Furthermore, if we do not reach out to the minor clans the Pheonix most assuredly will. With the petition they passed in the last winter court they will be sending their samurai and shugenja to live and train amongst the minor clans as well as having minor clan samurai and shugenja coming to the pheonix lands doing the same. If the Pheonix are allowed to do this without interference they could turn the entirety of the minor clans against targeting the Moto because of their misguided beliefs of their karmic curse.

Now for searching for allies outside of Rokugan, you might not be thinking exactly how far or close we should reach for the allies I believe we should seek out. In the 12th century the unicorn rescued a lone Yasuki from bandits. In appreciation the Yasuki gifted the Unicorn with a scroll detailing the beginning and end of a minor clan known as the Tanuki Clan. They studied the spirit world and Shinomen Mori. However one day they vanished misteriously without a trace into the Shinomen Mori. This is where the story of the Tanuki seems to end. However I believe that the Tanuki Clan lives, either in our world or the spirit world. If we were to find them and bring them back I feel that they would be invaluable allies. An entire clan bathed in the spirit world for generations containing an unknown amount of power. What new ways could they teach us to fight this coming threat? Not only that, but aren't the Tanuki just like the Unicorn all those centuries ago, lost in a foreign land, everyone in Rokugan giving up hope and even forgetting them all together. We can ask our Naga allies to guide us through Shinomen Mori. The Tanuki might even know a way to do away with the Moto's curse from residing in the spirit world for so long. I say that we must, no, that only we can bring our lost Rokugani brothers back to us. We owe it to our ancestors and to the honor of the Unicorn.
I shall act as Shinjo's jitte, breaking the sword of any who would harm her people.

MotoKCi
White Guard

Sun May 03, 2015 5:59 pm

RavenSoul wrote: One more thing, KCi saved our Utaku Battle Maidens, but we still need to save our Stables. I love the thought of going full mobile, but... that is the one holding we definitly want to keep, i think. How mobile is a stable? I mean... The horses can be kept on the move, and we did bring them with us from the outside, but we may need to settle some mares somewhere, I think.
This is exactly why I am keen for the Alliance path (with a clan that have a compassionate goal that suits Unicorn too), because we REALLY need more icons saved. Currently Unicorn have one of the least amount of icon saved (basically, Utaku Battle Maidens, that's it), if through alliance we can increase this number by even 1 (saved in a non aggressive manner), then we gained something valuable.

The alliance path give us a legitimate way to protect our very identity (as the Unicorn Clan) and also achieve 'allied victory'. We are clearly not the dominant clan this arc, doing so can at least salvage some semblance of a victory this way, or risk coming out drawing the short straw out of the great clans.

I suggest for us to try path 2 or path 3 (a variant of path 2 and 3 together for example).

There seem to be an appetite to find allies outside of Rokugan, we have to balance whether extra goodies from outside Rokugan is going to trump saving some of the more essential icons we have. Is there a way to have both or are they mutually exclusive?
Serving the community

ThA Available Now!

New Zealand Kotei Winner 09,10,11,13,14,15
Best sportsman 2007

Nomad Chronicler
White Guard

Sun May 03, 2015 8:43 pm

MotoKCi wrote: There seem to be an appetite to find allies outside of Rokugan, we have to balance whether extra goodies from outside Rokugan is going to trump saving some of the more essential icons we have. Is there a way to have both or are they mutually exclusive?
The outside Allies aren't a main path. They are a secondary choice that we Unicorn get, the sprinkles on our cupcake if you will. Also, it should go without saying, it's the Story Team standing by the gallows handing us more than enough rope.

In any case, we can ally/save the peasants and search for outside allies simultaneously.
Moto Khedai, WC IV

Wielder of too-many words.

"Khedai casts Castle of Earth, calling seven raises. Success. A massive, sturdy, imposing wall of text rises forth at his bidding."-Iuchi Chiwa

Nomad Chronicler
White Guard

Mon May 11, 2015 12:11 am

Something to talk about:

We should reach a consensus on what variant of path 1 we are going to be putting in our custom combo path. Not everyone is in the White Guard yet, so I'm posting this here.

They both have their advantages, and since we are making a combo path, we can combine the options as well. As I previously proposed, we can defend the heimin from Shadowlands beasties, while arming them against opportunistic ronin and bandits.

Pros:

1. We can focus our troops on fighting real threats, while the peasants take care of the smaller ones. More Peasant lives will be saved.

2. The armed peasants will be grateful for the equipment, and will regard us better for not forcing them to go up against Shadowlands creatures. We will gain resupply points in the form of farming villages we have saved.

3. The Heimin, grateful for the Unicorn's aid, may back us up in skirmishes against Great Clans who get in a snit about us entering their lands without permission.

4. The Minor Clans, in much the same boat as the Heimin, will be grateful in the long-term. During the Dark-times, they will likely have to look after their own interests, but afterward, we will have the backing of the MCA in peacetime.

Cons:

1. Without the Ashigaru to back us up, we will take more frontline losses against the Darkness. Kinda unavoidable, but we save more Heimin lives this way.

2. Great Clans get pissed that we arm their peasantry and draw their loyalties away from them. This is on top of us invading their lands without papers.

3. In the Long-term, we can expect that at least a few of the communities we arm will rebel against the Great Clans, and the Unicorn will take the political flak for reinstating the People's Legion. A few of them may even turn to banditry themselves. Which we will also get blamed for.

Alliance concerns:

If we go for the alliance, and are accepted:

1. More supply points! Yes!

2. Reinforcements! Also Yes!

3. Expectation of favoritism! Boo!

4. Split focus between the Heimin and our Ally's concerns! Also Boo!

If we are rejected, then we basically fall back to defending the Heimin, but are less effective at it due to dividing our focus attempting to make an alliance happen.
Moto Khedai, WC IV

"Khedai casts Castle of Earth, calling seven raises. Success. A massive, sturdy, imposing wall of text rises forth at his bidding."-Iuchi Chiwa

Moto Naranbaatar
White Guard

Mon May 11, 2015 1:34 am

Nomad Chronicler wrote:2. Great Clans get pissed that we arm their peasantry and draw their loyalties away from them. This is on top of us invading their lands without papers.
This sounds very much like what Moto Taigo was doing already. Do you think the Unicorn could use his help to grant our troops these papers? Certainly if there is a guy with the right Status needed for it it is the Shogun.
Image Image

Nomad Chronicler
White Guard

Mon May 11, 2015 2:22 am

Moto Naranbaatar wrote: This sounds very much like what Moto Taigo was doing already. Do you think the Unicorn could use his help to grant our troops these papers? Certainly if there is a guy with the right Status needed for it it is the Shogun.
I honestly doubt that Taigo of all people would retain his position in the Obsidian Empire. But I don't know that we need him to grant papers. As you said, he's been doing this for a while. The people know and trust him.

We don't need the Clans to approve, that's going to be one of the weaknesses of our path. No path we take will be without flaw, the ST's wouldn't have it.

That being said, Moto Taigo will lend a legitimacy to our cause among the Heimin. The Heimin of the Unicorn know to expect our Compassion, but the other Clans' Heimin (as we saw in a recent fiction) are terrified of Clan Samurai. But the Shogun is a well known and loved figure among the commoners, and we can use his reputation to aid our cause.
Moto Khedai, WC IV

Tobikawa
White Guard

Mon May 11, 2015 3:42 am

Nomad Chronicler wrote:I honestly doubt that Taigo of all people would retain his position in the Obsidian Empire.
Does that matter? If we agree that Kanpeki is not a legitimate emperor, then Kanpeki would never have any power to remove Taigo in the first place. If Seiken does not remove Taigo before Kanpeki takes over, then there is no problem: Kanpeki, as a usurper, has no legal right to appoint or remove anyone, and even if he did, as shogun Taigo has the legal right to refuse the emperor's orders and overthrow him.

I very much doubt that Kanpeki would have any regard for Taigo's title, but... so? Since when do we care what Kanpeki thinks is legal? Kanpeki is not the emperor, no matter any delusions he may have to the contrary.

Nomad Chronicler
White Guard

Mon May 11, 2015 4:38 am

True... There's a thought... What if in the protecting of the peasants, we throw our weight behind the Shogunate once the phase 2/3 choices come, i.e. time to overthrow Kanpeki? Chags did say that some day his descendants would rule Rokugan from an Iron Throne, and invoking the right of the Shogun against Kanpeki might even garner support from the other Clans...

But that's just thoughts for the future I suppose.
Moto Khedai, WC IV

Shinjo Dae-Hyun
White Guard

Mon May 11, 2015 9:53 am

Nomad Chronicler wrote:True... There's a thought... What if in the protecting of the peasants, we throw our weight behind the Shogunate once the phase 2/3 choices come, i.e. time to overthrow Kanpeki? Chags did say that some day his descendants would rule Rokugan from an Iron Throne, and invoking the right of the Shogun against Kanpeki might even garner support from the other Clans...

But that's just thoughts for the future I suppose.
I think this is a strong possibility, if and only if Iweko's line doesn't return to the throne. If Kanpeki overthrows the empire he still isn't the legitimate emperor; Seiken is. Should Seiken, Shibatsu, Miyaka fall during Onyx edition, then we take charge. If we gained backing from the Crane, Mantis, and possibly 2/3 other Clans I think it would be possible but we will have to things have to play out leading into Onyx edition first.
Bushi • Commander • TacticianCavalry

Ide Yoshiya
White Guard

Mon May 11, 2015 5:31 pm

A possible alternate path occurred to me today when discussing the Crane's third option and how it relates to our potential alliance with them.

Divide and Conquer

The Unicorn's military strength has always been in the mobility of its forces. As Daigotsu Kanpeki makes his move to claim the Emperor's Throne, he will require the support of those forces loyal to him, found among the ranks of the Tainted Spider who currently reside in the Colonies, a territory where the Unicorn command a strong military presence. If the Spider's march (by land) were disrupted by Unicorn hit-and-run tactics, and delayed in reaching Rokugan, it could severely hamper, or at least put off, the Shadow Emperor's bid for control.

Of course, the viability of this would depend on the Mantis also rallying against Kanpeki, as they presumably have superior command of the sea routes between Rokugan and the Colonies.
Unicorn Clan Courtier Ambassador ∙ Cavalry

Shinjo Yosama
Nikutai

Mon May 11, 2015 5:46 pm

What I have liked about these discussions is that we have all agreed:

1.Our people are our greatest treasure, and need to be protected.
2.We are a strong, and mobile military force.
3.No compromise: neither to a tyrant like Kanpeki, nor to the Kolat.
4.There will be losses, but we can stand against this tide.

I am not one who is eloquent of words. I will leave the assembling/decision of our pitched path to someone who is more proficient in the wielding of language. Heavens shine upon you courtiers at this time. May wisdom guide your tongues.
Shinjo Yosama

DojiAzai
Heimin

Tue May 12, 2015 8:45 pm

All I ask is that you pick something that is going to MAKE you interact in the story.

:D

I want to write some hardcore My Little Pony Action!
C Thomas Hand
Shi-Tien Yen-Wang for WC IV
*Athos*Team Stella
L5R Story Team

Nomad Chronicler
White Guard

Tue May 12, 2015 9:38 pm

Hokay, here we go. I have assembled a Path proposal based on some of the discussions we have had here. Feel free to pipe up with concerns or suggestions.
The Path of the Open Hand and Open Road:

The diviners have predicted it. The stars have shown the events to come. The blessed Regent herself saw to it that these events became known to us. We must be the first to act, for the speed of the Children of the Wind is unparalleled.

If there is one lesson that the years have taught us with their endless conflict, it is that the Empire will survive. However, this time, we know of the events before they will occur. This time, we can reduce the loss. This time, we will be ready.

The people of Rokugan will require protection, protection that the other Clans may not afford them in their preparations for their own defense. Therefore, we must protect the people for them, though we abandon the castles of our ancestors to do so. The Unicorn will ride forth, the three armies charging to the four winds in defense of those who can not defend themselves.

Soon, the letters will begin reaching the courts of the Clans, both Great and Minor, borne by the Couriers and our allies in the Bat. In each, an offer: Open your borders to our riders, and we will see that the people are protected. Offer our forces succor, and the refugees shelter, and we may have alliance. In this time of uncertainty and strife, we will even extend the hand of Courtesy to the Phoenix, insulted though we are.

Talks have already been progressing favorably with the Minor Clans and the Crane. With our Scouts working in concert, we can know of threats as they approach, and be there to interdict. The Khol will steer the armies of Darkness away in moving combat, while the Barunghar will evacuate those who are in the path. No Heimin need fall to swell the forces of our enemy, and the Junghar will see to the defense of the lands where we are welcomed as friends and make our camps. They will arm those commoners able to fight, and teach them to defend themselves from bandits and opportunists.

However, some may not accept our proposal. Some may reject our overtures, and close their borders to the Unicorn. If they are willing to defend their own peasants, then so be it. We wish them well in their endeavors.

But if they would both close their borders and not care for their common folk, then beware. The hand of the Ide is open, extended in peace. The other hand of the Unicorn bears a blade.

This path would favor Military options, possibly with an eclectic focus on Minor Clan allied personalities and Ashigaru support. Depending on how the rest of the Empire views your actions, it may open the way for Honor support as well.

However, in mobilizing the full might of the Unicorn, borders will be abandoned by necessity and castles must be left empty. You will sacrifice many of the ancestral holdings of the Clan, resorting instead to mobile camps and the support of allies. While the Unicorn are decentralized fighting the Darkness, other factions, both within and without the Empire, may cast greedy eyes upon the vast plains the Unicorn call home. Once the danger has passed, you may find that there is no home to return to…
Moto Khedai, WC IV

Shinjo Kei
Hohei

Tue May 12, 2015 10:12 pm

More and more I have come to the conclusion that the two best options for the storyline team would be if the player-base selected:

1. Assemble Your Forces and Do Your Duty- Build an Army/Ally with Foreign Powers: I would suggest that storyline team should let Min-Lee lead the clan during this time, and have Naleesh lead the exploration part. I like the idea of the Khan rebuilding their army and marching across Rokugan again. The premise should make even our allies a bit unsettled, and creates some nuance in the storyline. “Sure, I like the idea of my peasants not being killed, but the Khan marching again?” Also, Naleesh instructing Min-Lee to “protect the clan,” before she rides away, would just be an awesome speech to write.

On an early thread I suggested a path called “Shinjo’s voyage,” so I am repeating myself a bit. The "exploration" story would be a return to the clan's roots. It would also let us explore Shinjo's resurrection in an interesting way, returning Naleesh to the places Shinjo had visited, sites where she had children, and locations where she was captured. Being “Shinjo’s reincarnation,” should be something major, and I think this would be a great opportunity for the storyline team to really develop this. Additionally, there are plenty of opportunities for interesting stories, which would relate to the main storyline in Rokugan, including 1) searching for Sekawa and the teaching of Shinsei; 2) fighting with allies of the Daigostu abroad, such as the Jackals or being pursued by the Onisu/Tsuno; 3) precarious negiotations with foreign powers that have attempted to influence Rokugan- Yodotai, Ebonites, Uji-Hakai; and 4) strange new mysteries that may provide insight into the seals. The Unicorn could also select a clan to bring additional forces from to make sure the exploration storyline has a diverse cast of characters.

At the arc, this could leave the Unicorn in an incredibly interesting position as the clan would possess a peasant army with foreign fighters supplementing. An outcome that is nearly as terrifying as what most clans are a facing now. I just see a lot of potential for good storytelling with this selection.

2. Alliance with the Dragon who have selected Save The Darkness From Itself as their path. First, this would bring the Naleesh/Min-Lee/Mirumoto Shikei storyline to the forefront. Placing them on the same side of the fight would be fascinating, and it might allow exploration themes such as 1) forbidden love, 2) cost of duty, 3) loyalty to friend vs clan and 4) cost of dishonoring others. Additionally, it would create much more interest divide between those clans who support the Spider in some capacity, and those that completely oppose them. For example, this would place the Emperor’s family’s former clan against the Emperor himself, and place the Shogun, Moto Taigo, in a difficult position. What would Iweko II do if the Dragon clan stood against him? Would the Shogun be ordered to march against his own clan? Would the Emperor risk alienating the Shogun? Again, lots of places for character and plot development.

I would add one thing about the Onyx storyline. Right now, I don’t think the player base is enticed to go the dark side. I could be wrong, but it seems like most people are seeing it as a no-brainer to go against the forces of evil. I would suggest resurrecting the old “temptation” style storyline choices- i.e. offer clans really interesting bonus cards/storyline implications to go along with the darkness. For example, some of the prizes from Dark Lotus could be dusted off and used here, and they could be easily adjusted. If the Crane Clan accepts the Kanpeki’s ambassador, the Crane Clan will learn how to use the Anvil of Despair to craft a new Bloodsword. This Bloodsword will be given to the Champion of another clan, placing him under the Crane Clan's command. Or perhaps the Lion’s temptation could be: The ambassadors of the Shadowlands will teach a means by which the Akodo family can harness their mysterious connection to the Lying Darkness, gaining bizarre and sinister new abilities. These abilities will be embodied on several future Lion Clan personalities. Both were amazing prize ideas, and they would have made for good stories. Things like that would actually motivate people to consider switching sides, and I believe would lead to a more dynamic story.

Shinjo Kairu
White Guard

Tue May 12, 2015 11:03 pm

The Path of the Open Hand and Open Road:

The diviners have predicted it. The stars have shown the events to come. The blessed Regent herself saw to it that these events became known to us. We must be the first to act, for the speed of the Children of the Wind is unparalleled.

If there is one lesson that the years have taught us with their endless conflict, it is that the Empire will survive. However, this time, we know of the events before they will occur. This time, we can reduce the loss. This time, we will be ready.

The people of Rokugan will require protection, protection that the other Clans may not afford them in their preparations for their own defense. Therefore, we must protect the people for them, though we abandon the castles of our ancestors to do so. The Unicorn will ride forth, the three armies charging to the four winds in defense of those who can not defend themselves.

Soon, the letters will begin reaching the courts of the Clans, both Great and Minor, borne by the Couriers and our allies in the Bat. In each, an offer: Open your borders to our riders, and we will see that the people are protected. Offer our forces succor, and the refugees shelter, and we may have alliance. In this time of uncertainty and strife, we will even extend the hand of Courtesy to the Phoenix, insulted though we are.

Talks have already been progressing favorably with the Minor Clans and the Crane. With our Scouts working in concert, we can know of threats as they approach, and be there to interdict. The Khol will steer the armies of Darkness away in moving combat, while the Barunghar will evacuate those who are in the path. No Heimin need fall to swell the forces of our enemy, and the Junghar will see to the defense of the lands where we are welcomed as friends and make our camps. They will arm those commoners able to fight, and teach them to defend themselves from bandits and opportunists.

However, some may not accept our proposal. Some may reject our overtures, and close their borders to the Unicorn. If they are willing to defend their own peasants, then so be it. We wish them well in their endeavors.

But if they would both close their borders and not care for their common folk, then beware. The hand of the Ide is open, extended in peace. The other hand of the Unicorn bears a blade.

This path would favor Military options, possibly with an eclectic focus on Minor Clan allied personalities and Ashigaru support. Depending on how the rest of the Empire views your actions, it may open the way for Honor support as well.

However, in mobilizing the full might of the Unicorn, borders will be abandoned by necessity and castles must be left empty. You will sacrifice many of the ancestral holdings of the Clan, resorting instead to mobile camps and the support of allies. While the Unicorn are decentralized fighting the Darkness, other factions, both within and without the Empire, may cast greedy eyes upon the vast plains the Unicorn call home. Once the danger has passed, you may find that there is no home to return to…
Although all those things sound awesome Kei-dono. This is what I'm all about right here.
I shall act as Shinjo's jitte, breaking the sword of any who would harm her people.

Tobikawa
White Guard

Tue May 12, 2015 11:26 pm

DojiAzai wrote:All I ask is that you pick something that is going to MAKE you interact in the story.
:D
I want to write some hardcore My Little Pony Action!
Hey, we've been interacting plenty!

Aren't you a Crab and Scorpion man, anyway? Robert Denton, Nancy Sauer, and Shawn Carman have written some good Unicorn material in the past, but I didn't think the Unicorn were your thing.
Nomad Chronicler wrote:Hokay, here we go. I have assembled a Path proposal based on some of the discussions we have had here. Feel free to pipe up with concerns or suggestions.
That seems an awful lot like 'Assemble Your Forces And Do Your Duty', except we sacrifice our own lands for... um...

...why?

I quite liked the flavour text on our current stronghold. Our land is precious and beautiful. Why would we abandon it, and for that matter, why would we abandon all our people who live there?
Shinjo Kei wrote:Alliance with the Dragon who have selected Save The Darkness From Itself as their path. First, this would bring the Naleesh/Min-Lee/Mirumoto Shikei storyline to the forefront. Placing them on the same side of the fight would be fascinating, and it might allow exploration themes such as 1) forbidden love, 2) cost of duty, 3) loyalty to friend vs clan and 4) cost of dishonoring others. Additionally, it would create much more interest divide between those clans who support the Spider in some capacity, and those that completely oppose them. For example, this would place the Emperor’s family’s former clan against the Emperor himself, and place the Shogun, Moto Taigo, in a difficult position. What would Iweko II do if the Dragon clan stood against him? Would the Shogun be ordered to march against his own clan? Would the Emperor risk alienating the Shogun? Again, lots of places for character and plot development.
That's an interesting idea and I'd probably be behind if I thought the Spider, or at least a substantial proportion of the Spider, were going to choose 'Walk In The Light'.

That... does not seem likely, though.

Nomad Chronicler
White Guard

Wed May 13, 2015 12:22 am

The sacrifice of our lands is mostly as an extra freeing up of forces as well as an extra sacrifice to get the ST's to allow the addition of the alliance path. We won't be allowed to combine paths without consequences, and I am personally of the opinion that our castles are not something that we should sacrifice extensively to save.

Also, we would not abandon our people. As I said in the other thread, fighting retreat, only evacuating as necessary when we can't steer the fighting out of the path of villages and the like.

This is specifically abandoning our castles and fortresses.
Moto Khedai, WC IV

• Information