C Thomas Hand - AMA and Intro

A place for those from far and wide to present themselves to the Khan and engage those from far and wide in conversation.

Moderators: Moto Seals, Ide Yesugei, Utaku Hidaki, Shinjo Magistrates

DojiAzai
Heimin

Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:34 pm

Hello everyone!

I have been slowly making the rounds to the various forums, trying to get established and introduce myself.

You can see a whole detailed summary of me, glorious me! over on the L5R Site. In short, I am one of your Story Team peoples.

I wanted to start this thread with the intent to answer questions you might have and let you know I am paying attention!
C Thomas Hand
Shi-Tien Yen-Wang for WC IV
*Athos*Team Stella
L5R Story Team

RavenSoul
Nikutai

Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:40 am

Hi there.
Welcome. I have a small question. I think everyone from WC noticed that ST is going to be using Tsurushi Kinuyo as a center piece for some of the story for a while. Will this somehow rotate, eventually getting a single personality from each clan as a viewpoint for the rest of the stories in Rokugan? I mean, yeah, the Ivory Champ was everywhere in stories but... I kinda like the way you are taking Kinuyo's part.

Also, even after reading it twice I am a bit puzzled, can we get a small clarification on Zo Sia's origin and actual role as the Empress comes back from seclusion?
Unicorn Clan • Samurai • Chui • Reserve • Reverse-Destined

I was Ide Ibiki at WC IV

Tinyozora
White Guard

Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:31 am

*waves* Welcome.
Shinjo Ozora
Unicorn Clan * Samurai * Historian

Ide Eien - WC II
GM Team - WC III
Iuchi Wattu - WC IV

Shinjo Yosama
Nikutai

Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:37 am

Welcome,

Glad you are on board, I have been enjoying the fictions thus far since my return to the game last year with Ivory. I am intrigued with Zo Sia as well. Very interesting to have one if Shinjo's five children taking an active role in her return.

Shinjo Yosama

Shinjo Atreyu
White Guard

Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:24 am

Hi there, Hand! Great to see you on the forums. :D
RavenSoul wrote:Hi there.
Welcome. I have a small question. I think everyone from WC noticed that ST is going to be using Tsurushi Kinuyo as a center piece for some of the story for a while. Will this somehow rotate, eventually getting a single personality from each clan as a viewpoint for the rest of the stories in Rokugan? I mean, yeah, the Ivory Champ was everywhere in stories but... I kinda like the way you are taking Kinuyo's part.
Jumping off this one: Per WCIV, we know that Utaku Yikino won the Bowman's Wager. Are we going to see her in the fictions at all, or possibly even a card?
Also, even after reading it twice I am a bit puzzled, can we get a small clarification on Zo Sia's origin and actual role as the Empress comes back from seclusion?
Add me as another vote wanting some clarity on her, please.

As for my own question:

When can we expect more weight being put behind the fact that Naleesh *is* Shinjo reborn? Regarding how other clans regard her, the morale/zeal for Unicorn samurai regarding her rule, etc.? Shinjo's rebirth is on the same level as <insert your religion of choice>'s god being born again as a mortal, yet the most we've seen come of this fact so far is essentially other clans going "Oh, yeah, I heard about that!" in passing. I mean, wouldn't you expect Mantis samurai to go crazy if they found out Yoritomo was among them again?

Hell, Shiba Tsukimi basically went "oh, my sweet child" and effectively pat pat'd Naleesh on the head during their fiction together a couple weeks back, and I'm pretty sure Tsukimi is old enough to have been around personally when Shinjo (as Shinjo) came through last time. What?

So yeah. A god being reborn should be a big deal in Rokugan but so far we can see that if anything it hasn't been much of a blip on the radar. When can we expect this to change?
Jamie Vann - The Monstore - Montclair, California
CavalryTactician • Commander • Courtier • Imperial Explorer • Ki-Rin Clan • Samurai

Tobikawa
White Guard

Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:39 pm

I have a question. At Winter Court, you used the username 'Shi-Tien Yen-Wang'. Do you have any particular interest in the Lords of Death, personally, and do you envision yourself doing writing concerning them? Or are they going to be written about by other authors?

Nomad Chronicler
White Guard

Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:33 am

Shi-Tien Yen-Wang! Your Priest calls on you once more!

Hello there! Not sure when you will see this, but I would like to direct your attention to this thread.

Basically the short of it is that a cursory glance at the Spider forums reveals that they are likely to Embrace the Darkness, which many people believe will lead to the tiny Susumu family ducking out due to having no place in the Horde-flavored Spider. Meanwhile, we over in the Unicorn are talking about opening an orphanage for misunderstood Shoruido-powered Courtiers. What a coincidence!

If the Spider Susumu fanbase would be amiable to this, might the Unicorn adopting the unTainted remnants of the Spider be an option?

Also, (not)sorry for making you live in the Temple o' Death threads over Winter Court. They were a lot of fun RP!
Moto Khedai, WC IV

Wielder of too-many words.

"Khedai casts Castle of Earth, calling seven raises. Success. A massive, sturdy, imposing wall of text rises forth at his bidding."-Iuchi Chiwa

Shinjo Silme
White Guard

Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:02 am

Welcome !

Personally, I would be interested in seeing more Naleesh / Min Hee relationships and how they lead the Clan in this time of turmoil !
"My deck needs to be about 20% cooler"
"Oh putain !" : tribute to Crabi, L5R World Champion 2012
Tournament results

Lammia
Ji-Samurai

Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:17 am

A belated welcome!

Sorry, I haven't been paying too much attention to L5r after the end of WC. It's nice to see you here though.

Could you share with us what inspires you when you writing Unicorn characters? How do you feel the Unicorn are different from other clans? How are we the same?

Thanks.
I need to to give a huge (and rather late) thank you to all Winter Court 4 Unicorn players, especially our fearless leader. Thank you.

Utaku Yukino - WCIV

DojiAzai
Heimin

Tue May 12, 2015 8:41 pm

Kinuyo isn't really the centerpiece for the story, she is the character in the coming novel. Spooky would be better to answer this question, but as far as I know we don't rotate one character out at a time for story. We use some from each clan.

Utaku Zo Sia is a spiritual reincarnation of the four (horse) children of Shinjo into one body. :D
Jumping off this one: Per WCIV, we know that Utaku Yikino won the Bowman's Wager. Are we going to see her in the fictions at all, or possibly even a card?
That possibility very much exists :D
When can we expect more weight being put behind the fact that Naleesh *is* Shinjo reborn? Regarding how other clans regard her, the morale/zeal for Unicorn samurai regarding her rule, etc.? Shinjo's rebirth is on the same level as <insert your religion of choice>'s god being born again as a mortal, yet the most we've seen come of this fact so far is essentially other clans going "Oh, yeah, I heard about that!" in passing. I mean, wouldn't you expect Mantis samurai to go crazy if they found out Yoritomo was among them again?
Naleesh is not even remotely done in terms of the Shinjo Reborn angle. More to come.
I have a question. At Winter Court, you used the username 'Shi-Tien Yen-Wang'. Do you have any particular interest in the Lords of Death, personally, and do you envision yourself doing writing concerning them? Or are they going to be written about by other authors?
To be entirely honest, at the start of the court all the GM's showed up a month early to get things in swing. We were asked to pick a Fortune we wanted to use as our Avatar/Handle. I decided to pick the Shi-Tien Yen-Wang because there are ten of them, they are exotic, and it would be memorable.

That being said, I would love to do some writing for the Ten Dead Dudes. I just have to find some time and reason to write about them.
If the Spider Susumu fanbase would be amiable to this, might the Unicorn adopting the unTainted remnants of the Spider be an option?
That could be a possibility. Especially if you guys were to choose Spider as an ally with one of your Paths.
Also, (not)sorry for making you live in the Temple o' Death threads over Winter Court. They were a lot of fun RP!
You were fun to play with :D
Could you share with us what inspires you when you writing Unicorn characters? How do you feel the Unicorn are different from other clans? How are we the same?
That's a pretty open-ended question and answering it seems likely to get me into trouble. I don't think there is a right answer for this, but the Unicorn to me have always been the Exotic Clan. The Clan of strange things. Yes, the Mantis interact with gaijin throughout history as well, but the Unicorn are comprised of numerous gaijin cultures. This means they have a unique perspective on the Empire, one that includes taking into consideration the well-being of the common folk to a greater degree than most other clans.

So this place seems kind of quiet. I will check back every now and then, but if you guys need me someone ping me on FB. C Thomas Hand
C Thomas Hand
*Athos*Team Stella
L5R Story Team

Shinjo Silme
White Guard

Wed May 13, 2015 4:33 am

Pretty cool to take to answer all these questions ! Thanks to you and all ST for their work !
"My deck needs to be about 20% cooler"
"Oh putain !" : tribute to Crabi, L5R World Champion 2012
Tournament results

RavenSoul
Nikutai

Wed May 13, 2015 5:26 am

Thx for all the info. Its nice to have active members of the ST around.

Regarding the Susumu adoption: So in order to actually have a good chance at this, we would need to choose to ally with the Spider clan and specify that we only ally with the ones that choose not to follow Kampeki into his jigoku powered journey? This is also pending on the possibility that they accept and considering that rokugan as a whole will start shooting us for it. And pray that there are little to no infiltrations. Seems an extremely expensive, high risk, low (or rather no) reward (they are like... 20 ppl?) move. To be honest, i feel like we are getting close to the choice making times and its all too cloudy. Obviously our choices will have consequences, good and bad both but im sure you guys could shed some more light on it they the "this path supports a military style decktype in the CCG".
As it is, we may choose something for one reason and it may wind up entirely on the STs discretion on what to do with it. Regardless of the bad consequences (wich i agree should be kept more secret) you will certainly apply, it would be wonderful if we could get an inside generic idea of the bounties of each choices. If not, its the same as we had prior to last years Worlds, we knew very little of what the consequences would be (actually, as nice a char that zo sia was, you could name her anything and it effectively would only marginally afect the unicorn resouces, nothing more). After that speach about clarity and informed decisions at WC i was expecting better.

EDIT: May or may not have spoken too soon, waiting for the rest of this article; http://www.l5r.com/2015/05/13/clan-path ... rk-part-1/

I was Ide Ibiki at WC IV

Shinjo Yosama
Nikutai

Wed May 13, 2015 4:47 pm

DojiAzai wrote:
Utaku Zo Sia is a spiritual reincarnation of the four (horse) children of Shinjo into one body. :D
Very interesting. I had been under the impression she was one of the five children of Shinjo, with the other four watching closely from the Spirit Realm, and they were all communicating, helping guide their sibling, and Moto Naleesh. However four spirits in one body? How does she sleep? How often does she bicker with herself? Wow, just wow!

Shinjo Yosama

Nomad Chronicler
White Guard

Thu May 14, 2015 2:32 am

A thought occurs: While we have you here, what do you and the rest of the ST want from US as a playerbase? With the new path-system thing that is going on in Pre-Onyx, it looks like we have a bunch more control than normal over where the story could end up going.

So, besides the Path Choices, is there anything the ST's would like to hear from us? Besides praise for the most recent fiction of course ;)
Moto Khedai, WC IV

Wielder of too-many words.

"Khedai casts Castle of Earth, calling seven raises. Success. A massive, sturdy, imposing wall of text rises forth at his bidding."-Iuchi Chiwa

Shinjo Hughes
White Guard

Thu May 14, 2015 9:54 am

How publicly backed does a 4th path have to be, to be considered as a possible choice?

I've lobbying to combine path 1 & 2.
Essentially:
1 Helping anyone who needs help
2 Adopting any who would ally with our cause or who need protection:
be it Minor Clan, Ashigaru, Ronin, Susumu, temple monks or plain peasants.
3 Training those we can and using them to help others. Both from a protective standpoint and to Ally with them in chosen paths of fighting the darkness. (Possibly allying with multiple clans instead of just one.)
The Compassion of Shinjo, guided be the battle prowess of Taigo & Min-Hee. Focus on those being threatened, rather than the redemption of the fallen but not turn our backs on this who seek it. With 3 Capable Commanders we could have eyes at home and on 2 fronts.

I figured we'd have the draw backs of being spread too thin to explore outside the Empire as well as the potential backlash of misunderstanding or purposes for creating an army and the possible resentment of unwanted help stated in option 1 & 2. Our involvement with other clans would have to be rationed, of course only able to focus on 1 or 2 at once without risking insulting someone by sending a lower ranking officer.

There has been some solid and some hesitent interest.

I feel if we had a more clear set of Guidelines to craft the path, it might see some solid support.

So far we've been told a created path has to have a cost to match the goals, but no way of knowing if a created cost is significant enough for the path to be considered.

One path "Open Palm and Open Road" has been drafted in the story path discussion.

Thanks for your time!
Unicorn Clan•Samurai•Brigadier General•Exp 2•Paragon•Battle Madman

ImageImage

DojiAzai
Heimin

Thu May 14, 2015 2:18 pm

Pretty cool to take to answer all these questions ! Thanks to you and all ST for their work !
Thank you for being supportive.

It is refreshing and wonderful to hear nice things.
Regarding the Susumu adoption: So in order to actually have a good chance at this, we would need to choose to ally with the Spider clan and specify that we only ally with the ones that choose not to follow Kampeki into his jigoku powered journey? This is also pending on the possibility that they accept and considering that rokugan as a whole will start shooting us for it. And pray that there are little to no infiltrations. Seems an extremely expensive, high risk, low (or rather no) reward (they are like... 20 ppl?) move. To be honest, i feel like we are getting close to the choice making times and its all too cloudy. Obviously our choices will have consequences, good and bad both but im sure you guys could shed some more light on it they the "this path supports a military style decktype in the CCG".
If you guys make this choice and make it very clear that you only want to aid the non-Corrupted Spider, I think this could be an enjoyable path with interesting consequences. And remember, there will be more paths and choices later on after this has been chosen.

But it's up to you, not me!

I'm a little confused as to the rest of your question here. Can you clarify?
Very interesting. I had been under the impression she was one of the five children of Shinjo, with the other four watching closely from the Spirit Realm, and they were all communicating, helping guide their sibling, and Moto Naleesh. However four spirits in one body? How does she sleep? How often does she bicker with herself? Wow, just wow!
I like to think of her as the Rokugani St. Alia of the Knife :D
So, besides the Path Choices, is there anything the ST's would like to hear from us? Besides praise for the most recent fiction of course ;)
I will not speak for the whole Story Team or all of AEG, but I can tell you what I want to see from the player base.
- Active participation and conversations on the boards.
- Spreading the word to others that L5R is the place to be. I won't say it was bad before, because it wasn't, but is only going to get more freaking awesome from here. The more people the better.
- Buying cards. Obviously. I mean, there are ways to support the game, but purchasing cards and spending money as best you can is the number 1 way. It is a business and the more it sells the better it does. The better it does the better its organization can function and the better it will do moving forward.

- Letting us as the Story Team know what you want. And not just with anecdotal evidence. Collect names and comments. Show us that when you say "a lot of people want this thing" that you can back it up by showing me who those people are and where they said that. Too often a player will make a comment like "The X Clan doesn't like this thing; you should do more of that thing over there" and they don't back it up. Hearsay helps no one.

- Tell us when we are screwing up. Tell me. PM me, post here, do what you gotta do.

- Tell me what you want to see, very specifically, in terms of characters and development. Who do you like being in fictions? Why?

And more :D
How publicly backed does a 4th path have to be, to be considered as a possible choice?
How to make your own path is going to be shown pretty soon. Dave should have it up.

However, some general gists:
- Get as MANY people as you can to publicly show favor for the Option that you want to back.
- Make it clear, easy to understand, and have both positives and consequences to the path.

If you can do those two things you will be solid.

Anything else? If so, someone ping me and remind me to come check things.
C Thomas Hand
*Athos*Team Stella
L5R Story Team

RavenSoul
Nikutai

Thu May 14, 2015 8:51 pm

DojiAzai wrote: I'm a little confused as to the rest of your question here. Can you clarify?
Lets say it this way: This is our first choice going into Onyx, wich is going to be defined as our main target for the season, with branching pathways from there. So its something that should be big, something really defining of our nature as Unicorn.
Declaring such a specific target ("We want to ally with that small minority of wich is the un-corrupted loyal-to-the-Iweko Spiders") seems too specific for a general aproach, a general plan. I do like it, yes, and it read Compassion all over but its too narrow-minded.
Saving the peasants of the empire is a bit less story-oriented fun, but it just screams Compassion. Its just the same idea, but even better represented and much largerly defining, so I say for all its worth, Saving the Peasents should come as a first act, wich may or may not extend later on to a smaller target, the wilthing low-numbered Susumu.

TL;DR -> Big target (save peasants) should represent our first intentions, Smaller target (save susumus) should come later on down the path (same path, Compassion, different scales).

As for the request for clarity, I wanted to express my own indecisiveness because I have too few information at this point.
Example for simplicity: Kampeki will attack, do you stand firm, evade and retaliate, let him pass, take it like a man, strike first or gift him some Dark Cookies?
Unicorn, i believe, chooses evade and retaliate, because we are like mobile like water and swift like the wind. HOWEVER, after we choose, we then get to know that Miaka is right there for him to attack.
Not a soul in here would have hesitated, specially the ones from WC IV. We DO hold our ground for her, because, more then our nature, we are still bound by Duty. And because she would hold it herself, I expect (so much love for Miaka after WC IV).
So, this is what we have to face, a choice without a clear eye on the enemy. I personally have a hundred questions in my head and I know you cant answer all, but some more info would be nice. Is Kampeki going for Toshi Ranbo head-first? Is he coming from the colonies? Will he go into the Shadowlands first? Is he taking his time destroying Clan after Clan before cutting the Empire's head off? What do we hear are Seiken's orders? Whats his attitude towards us lately? Are the Dark Moto's return evident? Whats an Oni's favorite color? Did Ino Tadama have children yet and can we make an undying wall out of them? Whats the still-crippled Naga's status? Do they need help or could they lend some?

Sorry for the wall of text.

I was Ide Ibiki at WC IV

• Information