Moderators: Ide Yesugei, Shinjo Dun, Shinjo Magistrates

Ide Yesugei
White Guard

Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:46 pm

-----------------------------------------
Moto Naleesh

6F 5C
10hr/13gc/4ph

Unicorn Clan * Clan Champion * Naga * Samurai * Cavalry * Commander * Kami* Paragon * Tactician * Loyal *Unique

Naleesh’s unit straightens during each player’s Straighten Phase

Battle: Target and enemy unit. Naleesh overruns it, bow it. Destroy all cards in it without attachments and without Cavalry.
Diplomat * Host * All around fun guy

"Smiling makes me happy and others nervous"

Moto Eiji
White Guard

Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:52 pm

:shock: SWEET! 3 theme usage and a great trait... Love it!
Moto Eiji

Shinjo Dun
White Guard

Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:54 pm

I'm torn.... I really like everything but that 10 HR. That may keep her out of some decks. Possibly the least WOW out of any champion so far, but she's got a subtle strength to her with her traits. Tactician, Paragon, Commander, straightens every turn, and her Battle action also doesn't check against the opposing units force.

She's also not a human, if that ends up mattering (assuming Naga gives the nonhuman trait by default in EE as it has in the past).

Moto Naranbaatar
White Guard

Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:55 pm

Cool. Are our strongholds going to produce 2 more gold? ;) Because she's ridiculously expensive. Oh, and 6 force. Very nice force for a 15 gold Clan Champion.
Image Image

iyasu
Ashigaru

Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:57 pm

three traits, wow! i think the honor requirements prevents us to easily bring her into play.
Last edited by iyasu on Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Utaku Hidaki
White Guard

Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:59 pm

Honor requirement above starting effectively means she costs 15g for most military builds, and a very conditional battle action makes her overcosted, imho. Clearly the weakest of the champions previewed thus far.
Ralph Tropeano * Straw Dog * Taskmaster * Team Whiplash * The Nicest Guy in L5R

Moto Eiji
White Guard

Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:00 pm

6 force before tactician rulebook + cavalry puts her at a reasonable level for her price. We start with 7 gold from the get go (possibly 9 if going second) and only need 2 holdings (minimum) to buy her at full price.
Moto Eiji

Shinjo Kinou
White Guard

Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:01 pm

She costs the same as the mantis champ, and she is a 6f cav tactician with a kill action. Among other things... Soloing provinces with a kill action and mobility says to me that she isn't that overpriced. I agree though that the 10 PH is a touch high.

fryguy49
Heimin

Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:08 pm

I am a little confused. If I am reading this correctly, her kill action will not work on any personalities that have attachments. Correct?

Moto Naranbaatar
White Guard

Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:10 pm

Yes, but it will kill the attachment. Unless it is cavalry.
Image Image

Moto Eiji
White Guard

Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:12 pm

fryguy49 wrote:I am a little confused. If I am reading this correctly, her kill action will not work on any personalities that have attachments. Correct?
Yes... unless the action works in a cascading fashion by killing/destroying any non-cav followers and items and then killing the personality. But I don't think that is the case.
Moto Eiji

Shinjo Dun
White Guard

Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:13 pm

Shinjo Kinou wrote:She costs the same as the mantis champ, and she is a 6f cav tactician with a kill action. Among other things... Soloing provinces with a kill action and mobility says to me that she isn't that overpriced. I agree though that the 10 PH is a touch high.
She doesn't have a kill action. She has a bow action that kills attachments and personalities without attachments.

She doesn't solo provinces, she requires discarding a card for it.

She has no move action, why would you say she has mobility. Straightening every turn isn't mobility, its straightening.

And the comparison to Hiromi is a joke. She does *NOT* cost the same, as he has a boxable HR. He's also going to get his action off every attack (Naval). He's also got the trait that goes through everything but redirection.

fryguy49
Heimin

Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:23 pm

That's what I thought, thanks.

Iuchi Finn
Nikutai

Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:36 pm

correct me if 'im wrong but 15 gold occur only if you want the 4 honor without having the 10 HR, so in a military build she cost 13 below 10 HR with the clan discount. Right?

And for her action, it has the avantage of destroying all attachments (non cav) at once when other champ just destroy one when they don't meet the conditions, in addition she bow the all unit without condition.

So the 10HR is a bit hight but she's a Kami for god sake.

I find her beautyfull and i'll play her.
She know a lot about "Unicorn compassion" but don't like "the direct approach" ^^.
Last edited by Iuchi Finn on Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casual french player,
Iuchi Lixue's Fan.
Supporter of a pure and clean Unicorn Clan.
"Bushido and Meishodo"

MotoKCi
White Guard

Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:38 pm

Decidedly pedestrian compared to other champs....

I still find her acceptable, let's wait for the khan and shogun....
Serving the community

ThA Available Now!

New Zealand Kotei Winner 09,10,11,13,14,15
Best sportsman 2007

Shinjo Dun
White Guard

Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:40 pm

Iuchi Finn wrote:correct me if 'im wrong but 15 gold occur only if you want the 4 honor without having the 10 HR, so in a military build she cost 13 below 10 HR with the clan discount. Right?
Yes. Which means if you're going first, you have to hit either 2 3G producers or a Silk Works to buy her Turn 2.

Shinjo Ekim
White Guard

Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:43 pm

MotoKCi wrote:Decidedly pedestrian compared to other champs....

I still find her acceptable, let's wait for the khan and shogun....
Don't forget the Ivory Champion too, we have several significant personalities yet to come. :)

MotoKCi
White Guard

Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:44 pm

Iuchi Finn wrote:correct me if 'im wrong but 15 gold occur only if you want the 4 honor without having the 10 HR, so in a military build she cost 13 below 10 HR with the clan discount. Right?

And for her action, it as the avantage of destroying all attachments (non cav) at once when other champ just destroy one when they don't meet the conditions, in addition she bow the all unit without condition.

So the 10HR is a bit hight but she's a Kami for god sake.

I find her beautyfull and i'll play her.
She know a lot about "Unicorn compassion" but don't like "the direct approach" ^^.
Yes for the purchase price of 13, that means her effective gold cost is 15 except for the supposed switch paragon deck, which will still not hit 10 honor in the first 2 turns, maybe not even turn 3 consistently.

Even crane and scorpion have an outright unit kill, so her ability is the worse of the lot. The mantis unit kill is naval, and with determination as a reaction, so he's 2 levels above.
Serving the community

ThA Available Now!

New Zealand Kotei Winner 09,10,11,13,14,15
Best sportsman 2007

Moto Eiji
White Guard

Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:46 pm

Shinjo Dun wrote:
She doesn't have a kill action. She has a bow action that kills attachments and personalities without attachments.
Not a terrible thing in the long run and its conditional just like all the other champs that have been previewed so far.
Shinjo Dun wrote:
She doesn't solo provinces, she requires discarding a card for it.
Not a problem for 3 of our themes in most situations. Commander actions usually have a low FV but they can attach followers.
Shinjo Dun wrote:
She has no move action, why would you say she has mobility. Straightening every turn isn't mobility, its straightening.
He was most likely talking about her being cavalry which I agree does not giver her great mobility, but it is still mobility in a way.
Shinjo Dun wrote:
And the comparison to Hiromi is a joke. She does *NOT* cost the same, as he has a boxable HR. He's also going to get his action off every attack (Naval). He's also got the trait that goes through everything but redirection.
Cost wise yes, Hiromi is effectively 2 gold less in every situation. As for Hiromi being more powerful, that is conditional. He is quick on the attack but their gold cost is the same so Hiromi needs an attachment to kill Naleesh (easy for Mantis... I know, but the point is they need to spend gold to do it in many cases). Simply play smart and don't defend unless he cannot target Naleesh or you have redirect.

They all have weaknesses... we can't be given absolute power in most cases because the game is all about balance.
Moto Eiji

Moto Muck
White Guard

Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:47 pm

she's not bad but she' just not good compared to the other champs- unit bow does not equal unit kill, esp in her case when she won't kill cav attachments or peeps

trait just meh- great against military but meaningless against control/defensive decks

keywords are great- the lack of battle maiden though makes her less useful in the BM deck which the one deck where I really want to play her

stat line average for clan champ except for HR requirement (dumb) which will keep her out of alot of decks- she shouldn't cost 13 on average when hiromi will only cost 11

@ Dun- pretty sure she is human- the non-human keyword is the specifier for not human peeps, if its not there then they are by default human

overall i think she's worse than chen b/c of the HR

• Information