EE Preview: The Compassion of the Unicorn

Moderators: Ide Yesugei, Shinjo Dun, Shinjo Magistrates

Ide Yesugei
White Guard

Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:36 pm

-----------------------------------------
The Compassion of the Unicorn

0gc

As a Focus Effect: You may choose(now) to delay the effects of losing this duel until after your next Dynasty Phase begins.

Battle/Open: Choose your performing unbowed Unicorn Clan Personality and target another unit: Straighten it. Gain 1 Honor or 2 Honor if you did not control the target.

3 FV
Diplomat * Host * All around fun guy

"Smiling makes me happy and others nervous"

Moto Eiji
White Guard

Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:55 pm

Automatic unit straightening if you buy someone during dynasty or can straighten from fate before playing it...I see nothing wrong with this... not one bit.
Moto Eiji

SpookyElectric
L5R Story Team

Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:55 pm

Note that Moto Naleesh will almost always be able to play this on your opponent's turn to straighten one of your guys that attacked last turn. So even if you throw everything and have no defense but her on the next turn, this action will buy you another defense dude. +1 Honor is just icing. I think it's solid.
Story Team - Bosozoku - Gomi no Sensei - Plays the RPG
ImageImage

Mophat
White Guard

Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:33 pm

I enjoy that it also acts as dishonor tech as your unbowed dishonored guy can use it to straighten another of your dudes and then he gets rehonored.
Nebraska Kotei 2009 Winner
The Blessing of Pan'ku Storyline Tournament Winner

evilmerlin
White Guard

Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:34 pm

Open unit straighten is always good. Even better when it comes with an honour gain. With the amount of control around, this will see play for some time.

Grendak
Hohei

Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:09 pm

Rocking card IMO, playset in every deck to start, and 1-2 per even at the end of the arc most likely.

Horiuchi Meimei
White Guard

Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:10 pm

Just shy of being an auto-include. Straightening the whole unit makes it one of the more powerful straighten effects out there. And it has an honor gain. And a protective focus effect. The only strike against it (and a small one at that) is that it doesn't do bad things to the opponent. Still, I think this will see play throughout the arc.
"The Mantis have power over thunder and lightning but there is more to the storm than that."

2012 Thunder Bay Kotei Winner
2013 Minneapolis Kotei Winner
2014 Green Bay Kotei Winner
2014 Thunder Bay Kotei Winner
Lots of t16/t8 and a few t4

Coopernicus
Gunso

Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:27 am

Battle unit straighten. Honor Gain/Dishonor Meta. Open Bow Meta. Dueling Meta. Sets you up for A Perfect Moment. Really powerful card for Paragons imo.
2012 Fort Mill, SC Kotei Winner

Moto Muck
White Guard

Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:50 pm

it good but not Mantis virtue good- obviously good out of Maidens and maybe good out of other themes depending on how powerful dishonor/control are in EE

Ide Yoshiya
White Guard

Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:18 am

Give it up for graphics!

Wait, that kid...is she touching him unnecessarily?
Unicorn Clan Courtier Ambassador ∙ Cavalry

Coopernicus
Gunso

Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:53 am

Moto Muck wrote:it good but not Mantis virtue good- obviously good out of Maidens and maybe good out of other themes depending on how powerful dishonor/control are in EE
Every Clan except Spider has a shugenja or courtier honor/dishonor deck. I think this meta will be VERY useful. Not to mention it rehonors two people at the same time I believe.
2012 Fort Mill, SC Kotei Winner

Moto Eiji
White Guard

Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:53 pm

Coopernicus wrote: Not to mention it rehonors two people at the same time I believe.
It would only rehonor the performer, which in this case is the first personality. They second is the target of the action.
Moto Eiji

Moto Naranbaatar
White Guard

Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:45 pm

From the rules:

Before a player gains Honor from an action or trait that targeted, came from, or was performed by one or more of his or her dishonorable Personalities, if any of those Personalities is not otherwise rehonored by the action or trait, each Personality is rehonored and the player does not gain the Honor. (Dishonorable status is checked when the Personality is targeted, etc. For more details, see References). [CHANGED 2 Aug 2011]
Image Image

Moto Eiji
White Guard

Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:22 pm

Moto Naranbaatar wrote:From the rules:

Before a player gains Honor from an action or trait that targeted, came from, or was performed by one or more of his or her dishonorable Personalities, if any of those Personalities is not otherwise rehonored by the action or trait, each Personality is rehonored and the player does not gain the Honor. (Dishonorable status is checked when the Personality is targeted, etc. For more details, see References). [CHANGED 2 Aug 2011]
Ah, culprit there is that I haven't checked up on rules in a while. :oops: Good save!
Makes the card better than I originally thought too!
Moto Eiji

evilmerlin
White Guard

Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:35 pm

Wow, that's it. This is definitely an auto-include for a long long time.

Moto Muck
White Guard

Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:47 pm

alright if this truly does rehonor 2 guys then it'll be in my decks prob for a while- still move and kill just sounds so much more sexy than straighten and rehonor 2 guys

god i wish we had gotten the crabs virtue card- we would be so damn broken then- at least our shuggie SH can put the kabosh on that card to a certain extent by making their discarded dudes dead and not targetable

Moto Jahk-Fwah
White Guard

Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:01 pm

Moto Muck wrote:alright if this truly does rehonor 2 guys then it'll be in my decks prob for a while- still move and kill just sounds so much more sexy than straighten and rehonor 2 guys

god i wish we had gotten the crabs virtue card- we would be so damn broken then- at least our shuggie SH can put the kabosh on that card to a certain extent by making their discarded dudes dead and not targetable
you're going to learn to hate the lion one... its frakking disgusting if you ask me... and a total bitch slap in our faces.

Iuchi Toshimo
White Guard

Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:55 pm

I can only conclude that they want us to win tempo on the defense. With Creating Order, Ageless Shrine, RoA for everybody, but Naleesh and this for us, it feels like Rallying Cry built into purple.

Grendak
Hohei

Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:08 pm

Well, us and Spider. Remember the rulebook ability of Conquisidor.

• Information