[EP] Evil Portents Unicorn Previews

Moderators: Ide Yesugei, Shinjo Dun, Shinjo Magistrates

isawa_akei
Heimin

Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:50 pm

Hello Samurai of the Unicorn Clan!

His Imperial Majesty has tasked me with distributing these offerings for your enjoyment.

John Akey
L5R Community Organizer

Tinyozora
White Guard

Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:42 pm

That art for Dai-ketsu...so different o.O

Like something from Warhammer.
Shinjo Ozora
Unicorn Clan * Samurai * Historian

Ide Eien - WC II
GM Team - WC III
Iuchi Wattu - WC IV

Double Decker
Nikutai

Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:34 pm

Okay, so in Evil Portents we have Moto Chinua who deals with anything apart from people with followers, we can deal with them anyway, so he fits into a nice little hole. He also likes Assassin's Strike, which fits into the Battle Maiden way of things as well as Commanders and Magistrates too. Utaku Yabusame is our second Battle Maiden, Commander, but she just keeps shooting stuff, as long as you can keep straightening her. The Honor gain is gravy. So she likes Relentless and is best friends with Ide Kosaka and The Shakuhachi of Air. Moto Dai-ketsu Is the newest and best addition for our Shugenja deck, with the rare combo to Cavalry into a battle, Navally Fear someone (And Shugenjas these days have force pump on spells: Force + amount of spells could mean a fear action in the double digits) and kill them with Okura's Release/Moto Nergui and then straighten with the second part of his ability immediately. Moto Jengzan is mediocre, but fits into a swarm/blitz deck because of his force and Gold Cost, Resiliant keeps him around for longer too. Shinsei's Last Hope is a 4 Gold Cost for 4 Gold Production with a battle action, solid. Weathered Armour is decent too, but it's not the highlight of this set for us.

Good set for a Unicorn player I think. Poke holes in this set all you like, we've got at least 3 decent personalities out of this one. Makes me happier than last set, much happier!
Top 16 Sheffield, UK Kotei 2012 (13th)
Top 8 Sheffield, UK Kotei 2014 (6th)
Top 16 Worlds Second Chance, Sheffield UK 2014 (9th)

Nomad Chronicler
White Guard

Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:31 pm

Tinyozora wrote:That art for Dai-ketsu...so different o.O

Like something from Warhammer.
Same artist that did Shinjo Tsung-min. Lots of detail, more muted colors. I kinda like it.

Of course, Tsung-min's artwork turned out to be from the larger art on Superior assault, so I can't help but wonder if Dai-ketsu is the same way. I'd want to see that full art in any case.
Moto Khedai, WC IV

Wielder of too-many words.

"Khedai casts Castle of Earth, calling seven raises. Success. A massive, sturdy, imposing wall of text rises forth at his bidding."-Iuchi Chiwa

Moto Seals
Emerald Champion

Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:35 pm

Dai-ketsu is an A+ personality. He is amazing.

Others are all meh.

Moto Seals
Emerald Champion

Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:38 pm

That "woosh" sound you heard was Nobunaga getting replaced by Dai-ketsu.

Moto Ess-Ry
Hohei

Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:46 pm

I'm getting really tired of 3f guys for 8, and annoyed at 3f guys for 7.

Death priest is good. Battle maiden is over box honor and completely inefficient, but can kill some naked things and the lower end followers. Chinua is another not dash honor requirement force inefficient guy with a battle action that isn't going to work against the thing we're going to see a lot of with EP legal. Honor as a keyword makes me want to throw things at Reese. Nohorse Blankguy is probably good if you want the commander keyword.

The holding is really good.

I have no idea what they expect us to do with the magistrate theme, it remains a hodgepodge of way too slow for honor and nowhere near good enough for anything else.

Seals, I'd drop Bataan for him in a heartbeat, but Nobunaga is generally the best guy around.

Iuchi Toshimo
White Guard

Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:16 pm

Dai-ketsu is a triumphant piece of cardboard.

The BM isn't better than Nobunaga. Seems combo-rific and can't easily gatling gun against the (honor) decks where ranged 3 would be best. Don't know why the 6HR when 5HR would keep her leashed to Min-Hee decks without soul crushing deck restrictions. When I first saw Min-Hee had +1 starting honor I went "yay!" but now I think they're just increasing everyone's HR to make the sensei be terrible.

Chinua got a significant upgrade. He might be a 1-of-and-deal-with-me-first kind of thing. Unbow is pretty rampant though. For that price, I'd rather have a Shiho.

Jengzan seems solid. 3F/4GC like our staple vanilla but trades cav for resilient and scout for commander. Not for the ponies allegeric to walking into battle.

Both the maggia on the main page seem derpy, but my brain can't build the magistrates, so maybe they're good. Ow... it hurts. Happily, Megura's art is pretty.

Moto Seals
Emerald Champion

Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:31 pm

Iuchi Toshimo wrote:Dai-ketsu is a triumphant piece of cardboard.
Naval Thundering Death ftw!

Shinjo Hughes
White Guard

Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:38 pm

So Yabusame, Kazue, Aikenro, Inspired Leadership and and Way of the Mantis walk into a bar...
Unicorn Clan•Samurai•Brigadier General•Exp 2•Paragon•Battle Madman

ImageImage

evilmerlin
White Guard

Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:21 pm

Weathered Armour means I can't cav?

Daidoji Tacticus
Hohei

Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:24 pm

The Cavalry action is an action, so, yes.
Ceterum autem censeo Otomines esse delendam.

Player of Asahina Umeko at Winter Court IV.

Tobikawa
White Guard

Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:40 pm

...her name is actually Yabusame? Really?

kakita_shiro
Ashigaru

Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:47 pm

Moto Seals wrote:
Iuchi Toshimo wrote:Dai-ketsu is a triumphant piece of cardboard.
Naval Thundering Death ftw!
Welcome to the club.

Moto Seals
Emerald Champion

Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:59 pm

Tobikawa wrote:...her name is actually Yabusame? Really?
It would have been more awkward if she had a melee attack.

Lammia
Ji-Samurai

Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:38 am

Moto Seals wrote:
Tobikawa wrote:...her name is actually Yabusame? Really?
It would have been more awkward if she had a melee attack.
I have pains after I spent several minutes laughing at that. Thanks... thanks a lot. :x
I need to to give a huge (and rather late) thank you to all Winter Court 4 Unicorn players, especially our fearless leader. Thank you.

Utaku Yukino - WCIV

Moto Subodei
White Guard

Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:00 am

I think in the right deck Yabusame will be a house. Think it would be hard to run her in a normal commander deck due to the HR, but in the battle maiden deck she is gaining you two honor and making 2 ranged 3 attacks in the same battle.

And yeah, Dai-ketsu is a monster.

Edit: I feel stupid, what is the deal with Yabusame's name? I don't get the joke :D

Lammia
Ji-Samurai

Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:31 am

Moto Subodei wrote:Edit: I feel stupid, what is the deal with Yabusame's name? I don't get the joke :D
Short answer, Yabusane is Japanese horse archery...

So Utaku Yabusame is less of a name and more a description of her battle ability.
I need to to give a huge (and rather late) thank you to all Winter Court 4 Unicorn players, especially our fearless leader. Thank you.

Utaku Yukino - WCIV

MotoKCi
White Guard

Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:53 am

I'm very confused by Chinua's wording, so it bows anything with no attachments?

The other is conditional to higher force and nonhuman and Phoenix?!
Serving the community

ThA Available Now!

New Zealand Kotei Winner 09,10,11,13,14,15
Best sportsman 2007

Daidoji Tacticus
Hohei

Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:29 am

Chinua will bow the target if any of the following conditions are met:

- Has no attachments.
- Is higher Force.
- Is Phoenix Clan.
- Is Non-Human.

1-Force naked Scorpion Courtier? Bowed. 4-Force Hida with a tetsubo? Bowed. 0-Force Phoenix shugenja with 77 spells attached? Bowed. 2-Force Ogre with 15 zombie followers? Bowed.

In order to be immune to Chinua's ability, you must be human AND not Phoenix AND have equal or lower Force to Chinua AND have an attachment.
Last edited by Daidoji Tacticus on Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ceterum autem censeo Otomines esse delendam.

Player of Asahina Umeko at Winter Court IV.

• Information