[THA] Thunderous Acclaim Unicorn Previews

Moderators: Ide Yesugei, Shinjo Dun, Shinjo Magistrates

Shinjo Kairu
White Guard

Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:37 pm

AEG: Your first theme in 20F is Shinjo Magistrates.
AEG: Here, have a bunch of really interesting Utaku.
AEG: Also, have an underwhelming magistrate.
Lol, well put. And welcome to The Children of the Wind Suko-dono :D
I shall act as Shinjo's jitte, breaking the sword of any who would harm her people.

Beatfacehorde
Ji-Samurai

Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:08 pm

Strategies=good

Followers=good

Holdings= better for lion, but not terrible

Utaku Sakiko= okay? action is good, needs testing. Reserve+action can win fights.

Utaku Zo Sai= um... what? I guess good for a rocket deck, chump block then reincarnate?

Moto Baatar= Hmm. 7 gold 3 force, range 2?? not bad for range followers deck?? I probably won't play him. but not bad. Again reserve+action win fights.

Utaku Masako=bad, just bad. Unless you're playing defensive honor, even then not great. Probably won't see play unless you need to meta against military dueling.

Shinjo Chairei=a Magistrate, I guess. Can't really come up with anything wrong with him.

Shinjo Tsung-min=Commander.. Reserve.. Has action... love it... oh shit... 1 chi... dueling is everywhere... still probably play him, just wont get too exited when I see him.

Flawless Naginata=good, dueling defense, kill for small guys. I like it.

Reinforced Yari= um..? what? why is this here and not in the lion previews? It's not terrible, it's a big honking ass spear. It would be one thing if it removed cavalry, but this straight can't attach to a cavalry card. I mean I know if you have a mix of both infantry and Cavalry this could be a 2 of in your deck. However, crab and lion will love this card.

Utaku-Gecko
White Guard

Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:26 pm

Utaku-Gecko wrote:So Sakiko prompts a few questions.
Reserve overlay?
Destined works when overlaying?
Will I be able to make a maiden deck work yet?
Do I actually care if it will work yet?
Finally dragged myself from my nice warm bed to find my rule book.
Reserve overlay is a no go :(
Destined doesn't work when overlaying :(
Will know in a month or two I guess
No I really don't think I will care, I love playing Battle Maidens

Ide Yesugei
White Guard

Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:04 pm

First thoughts were Sakiko needs 1m force to be playable in most military decks but the ability makes up for it in honour builds.

Also thought hello unsafe passage with all our commanders and also I am in love with Utaku Mosako.. esp since she doesn't have to be in play to get the bonus. 3 ph for the dishonor match and still a 2f cav for honor,

And as for Tsung min.. overall not that hard on his 1chi.. facing Greg Wong on a weekly basis for the better 10 years has taught me this.. how many guys on you side have 6 chi... anyone who doesn't needs spirited.. 1 or 3 chi is all the same when you are in two pieces.

I almost forgot.. hey kc and ogre thoughts on Officer's Lodge
Diplomat * Host * All around fun guy

"Smiling makes me happy and others nervous"

MotoKCi
White Guard

Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:40 pm

Ide Yesugei wrote:First thoughts were Sakiko needs 1m force to be playable in most military decks but the ability makes up for it in honour builds.

Also thought hello unsafe passage with all our commanders and also I am in love with Utaku Mosako.. esp since she doesn't have to be in play to get the bonus. 3 ph for the dishonor match and still a 2f cav for honor,

And as for Tsung min.. overall not that hard on his 1chi.. facing Greg Wong on a weekly basis for the better 10 years has taught me this.. how many guys on you side have 6 chi... anyone who doesn't needs spirited.. 1 or 3 chi is all the same when you are in two pieces.

I almost forgot.. hey kc and ogre thoughts on Officer's Lodge
It's true against most dedicated honor it makes little/no difference what the chi + items is, but i still like to have a whole lineup of 3-4 chi just to not get owned by COaaT early game before the dueling decks start stacking +2 chi items on. That and the random Scorpion Ninja deck plays -chi cards, i just cannot imagine playing more than 1-2 copies of a 1 chi guy in any deck. But being reserve really helps. I view Tsung-Min as our best guy in this lot, and will support most of our strongest decks, it may even find a spot or two in an Aranai deck (since it's cheap, 3 force, cav, reserve AND a battle action that works well, asking for more chi will break him).

Officer's Lodge is obviously super in a commander deck, the attaching at purchase don't add anything with attaching being an open action, but producing 4G for 3G is great. But it's a very narrow application, literally only for Commander decks, which i believe to actually be viable. But it's not attractive enough for me (yet), as i generally still prefer destined items as my primary source of attachments, i guess i am just a sucker for drawing my entire fate deck for the last battle.

Sakiko i fear is just going to be too expensive to ever be great. 10g for 3F is asking a lot, even if she does have destined my favorite keyword.
Serving the community

ThA Available Now!

New Zealand Kotei Winner 09,10,11,13,14,15
Best sportsman 2007

Shinjo Kairu
White Guard

Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:03 pm

Blanketed forest doesn't stop reserve, right?
I shall act as Shinjo's jitte, breaking the sword of any who would harm her people.

Shinjo Dae-Hyun
White Guard

Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:36 pm

I like our previews overall. Nothing game changing but very solid.

Moto Bataar and Shinjo Tsung-Min both get a spot in my current build. Aside from playing Ninja Dueling Tsung-Min seems great for his force, keywords, and ability. Sure 1 Chi is low but if you weren't winning duels before you still won't be. Use him as support piece and try to avoid loading him up with attachments.

The followers look efficient; I'm still trying to gauge how much mileage we can get out of The Thundering Death, Junghar Regulars. The latter has a lot of potential. 4F Cav Follower with a Ranged 3? I'll pay 7 for that.
Bushi • Commander • TacticianCavalry

Moto Shintomo
Gunso

Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:07 pm

I'm very excited about the personality base in this set.
Iuchi Toshimo wrote:Reserve-o-rama might be interesting with Jalair? Jalendu? whatever his name is. I'm sure it would confound many unprepared opponents.
Might be niche right now, because all those dudes show up to the battle nekkid which could be a serious issue. A flaw that might be outweighed by getting a Dynasty phase early. Definitely will want some harpoon since wise opponents won't defend and will leave us with over-costed dynasty. Need some cheapies then so that we can buy a T2 person to get the T3 attack started. This might mean we can run infantry reserve followers without consequence since we want opposed battles anyway. All phases NOW!
I played a deck like this in Phoenixville, seems it was before its time. :lol: Was weak against the Standing Fast decks that are out there. It might do better with Thunderous Acclaim.

Beatfacehorde wrote:
Utaku Masako=bad, just bad. Unless you're playing defensive honor, even then not great. Probably won't see play unless you need to meta against military dueling.
This is the Ivory version of Otaku Tetsuko. I don't think she is a bad personality, considering she is box cavalry.

That said, I look at every personality we got and say "Hey, I think I could give it a try", which is something I couldn't say in previous Ivory expansions. I think even the Magistrate could be considered, and he's the weakest personality we got.

Shinjo Kairu
White Guard

Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:24 pm

I knew that it was a long shot, but I was really hoping to see a new Min-Hee. It just feels wrong having a unicorn deck without the Khan in it...

Shinjo Kairu
White Guard

Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:32 am

Also Zo Sai's flavor text has intrigued me. I wonder what they are going to do with her in the story.

Tinyozora
White Guard

Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:37 am

She is the reincarnation of one of Shinjo's children...so they have done a lot with her for winter court last year.
Shinjo Ozora
Unicorn Clan * Samurai * Historian

Ide Eien - WC II
GM Team - WC III
Iuchi Wattu - WC IV

Shinjo Kairu
White Guard

Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:51 am

She is the reincarnation of one of Shinjo's children...so they have done a lot with her for winter court last year.
Just goes to show that I should get back to reading WC lol

Moto Seals
Emerald Champion

Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:57 am

Ide Yesugei wrote:I almost forgot.. hey kc and ogre thoughts on Officer's Lodge
Meh?

It's a super, super, conditional 3f4. Unless you are reserving a Commander, there is no reason you just spend the gold for the Follower on your opponent's turn and attach then. Then you avoid having to play a 3f3 in your deck. Better out of Lion.

Moto Seals
Emerald Champion

Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:04 am

Suko wrote:AEG: Your first theme in 20F is Shinjo Magistrates.
AEG: Here, have a bunch of really interesting Utaku.
AEG: Also, have an underwhelming magistrate.
Well Sakiko also gained Magistrate, but the boxable guy is kinda of overcosted.

But really sad that the best Magistrates in the set for us are the Unaligned one and the Dragon Clan one.

Lammia
Ji-Samurai

Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:57 am

Well, I like Utaku Zo Sia but I can't really see any reason to put in any other personalities in my Magistrate arc deck. Perhaps strict will change that but I hope we would get a few more options before that becomes a main format again.

This set seems like it does some favours for our Commander military and Utaku family players. But after the spoils of the base set, nothing stands out to me.
I need to to give a huge (and rather late) thank you to all Winter Court 4 Unicorn players, especially our fearless leader. Thank you.

Utaku Yukino - WCIV

Shinjo Dae-Hyun
White Guard

Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:32 am

Shinjo Kairu wrote:I knew that it was a long shot, but I was really hoping to see a new Min-Hee. It just feels wrong having a unicorn deck without the Khan in it...
Trust me, you weren't the only one. Though I have a feeling she'll be printed before Onyx Edition.

With the slow increase in power I think she might look something like this:

Shinjo Min-Hee, The Khan

5F 4C

0FH 12G 3PH

Samurai Cavalry Commander Tactician Experienced Loyal Unique

Your Cavalry followers out of play have Reserve

Interrupt: After you equip a Cavalry follower during battle you may take an additional action.

Battle: Target your unbowed Cavalry follower in Min-Hee's army and target an enemy card with equal or lower force. Bow it, or destroy it if it has no attachments.

I really want to give her Conqueror...

Maybe it's just wishful thinking? Oh and I want more magistrates with printed Cavalry!

Apparently there are 8 cards that will be previewed on Monday? So maybe we'll get another set of Uniques? (Spider got their Champion)

Oh and question! Can I use Sakiko Exp.'s Melee to bow a card it isn't strong enough to destroy? (Like a 5F personality)
Bushi • Commander • TacticianCavalry

Tinyozora
White Guard

Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:58 am

You would still need to interrupt with Unholy Strike to sit down a 5F personality. It reads that if you could kill it, bow it instead to gain honor.

Utaku Zo Sia is going in my honor deck. 4 honor AND cav for 5gold? Late game re-usability vs military? Yeah, I'll take that.
Shinjo Ozora
Unicorn Clan * Samurai * Historian

Ide Eien - WC II
GM Team - WC III
Iuchi Wattu - WC IV

kakita_shiro
Ashigaru

Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:48 am

Shinjo Hughes wrote:http://imperialassembly.com/oracle/#car ... rdcount=40

Seems relevant?
Rather just play Shinjo Turban-guy

Shinjo Kairu
White Guard

Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:41 am

Maybe it's just wishful thinking? Oh and I want more magistrates with printed Cavalry!
Yeah you and me both.

Nomad Chronicler
White Guard

Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:29 pm

Utaku Zo-Sia has a very specific use: Taken Hostage.

Using Taken Hostage, you can pop her yourself for a -6 Force Penalty, and then just bring her back and proclaim that delicious 4 honor again
Moto Khedai, WC IV

Wielder of too-many words.

"Khedai casts Castle of Earth, calling seven raises. Success. A massive, sturdy, imposing wall of text rises forth at his bidding."-Iuchi Chiwa

• Information