Moderators: Ide Yesugei, Shinjo Dun, Shinjo Magistrates

eganra
Ji-Samurai

Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:01 pm

Doesn't look like there are Utaku in this set either

Tinyozora
White Guard

Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:35 pm

Ide Honor got some more personality support, though no new wealth token generation which sucks.

Fear-genja got some good loving, with some interesting cards coming out.

Also, it is interesting to see if playing Brotherhood Sensei with the Shugenja deck would be worth it. It is quite tempting though.
Shinjo Ozora
Unicorn Clan * Samurai * Historian

Ide Eien - WC II
GM Team - WC III
Iuchi Wattu - WC IV

Moto Ess-Ry
Hohei

Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:21 pm

The only force to gold efficient Unicorn personality is a blank Death Priest.

Woo. This reminds me of every year.

Theres a 3 personal honor military body who isnt a scout and is... not an Utaku.

I like 5 cards from this set.

Heres how I feel (a few of us have been looking the set over commenting on Facebook in our local group for the last few hours):

Stephen Ryan 2 HANDED IS A GOOD KEYWORD I SHOULD PUT IT ON THINGS FOR NO REASON YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

Stephen Ryan I made these spells for that Rae Sensei deck. And then i made them work better off shugenja. And still suck at the same time. I'm pretty good at this game. I know what the players want.

Stephen Ryan Guys, I know what this arc needs. Spearmen. And then, because those say 'Ranged', we need Stabmen who can be melee, and have the ronin keyword, because im making that a relevant keyword again for 3 cards.

Stephen Ryan CANT NEVER CALL ME OUT OF TOUCH WITH WHAT PEOPLE WANT TO PLAY AND ARE PLAYING!

Stephen Ryan What the game needs... is more 2 chi duelists.
Stephen Ryan And kensai that arent duelists who can duel you

Stephen Ryan Unicorn need a card draw holding too, so we made a 5g 4producer that draws a card when you go second, because THATS AWESOME DESIGN AND TOTALLY GOING TO BE USED BY... ... ... SOMEBODY

Stephen Ryan I put the focus effect "As a Focus Effect, exchange the Focus Values of this Strategy and one of the other player's focused cards." ON A 3 FV CARD BECAUSE I DONT KNOW HOW DUELS WORK AND IM CONVINCED THIS WINS ALL THE GAMES

Stephen Ryan Spider Kensai suck because they cant use Family Sword. So we're making the new spider Monksai have the family name Kokujin. They arent duelists though, because I seriously dont have a (clue) how spider. Also, there wont be any more for another year, but you get where i'm going with this, spider clan!

Shinjo Dun
White Guard

Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:37 pm

The Soul of Man seems good.

Our personalities seem bland. But that describes this arc to a big extent for me.

Shinjo Dae-Hyun
White Guard

Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:25 pm

I'm okay with the previews overall and see potential in a few cards.

The main thing that sticks out to me is the 4, 6, 8 gold costs of our personalities and followers. This may be the new curve for our personalities that in turn goes along with our stronghold.
Bushi • Commander • TacticianCavalry

Ryofu
White Guard

Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:26 pm

No one card looks really good in the set, i will probably not buy it. Unicorn peeps suck monkeys balls again..... sigh The only card that caught my eye was the 7g produce 6g holding that can bow to give you a +2/+1 weapon token but even it is pretty meh because of our SH nerf in ive 2.

All in all a very disappointing set, looks like i can save money this year end

Iuchi Toshimo
White Guard

Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:40 pm

Of course the set won't have a great effect the established Arc Format with its 1000 cards or so. It will shake up strict.
Dynasty is the easiest side to make snap judgements about.

The new Ide don't seem to provide what the Ide deck needs - a chance to win battles. I was hoping for more Kimiono quality peeps.

Our people with abilities are pretty sweet: Okanu on horseback, unstoppable fear guy, and 4Chi cav shug for 6GC that has an interesting interrupt. Are you really that surprised that there are no BMs? They already told us BMs were IvE2. Something to look forward to.

There are no 4for4 holdings, which really shocked me. Gold schemes are going to look very, very strange unless IvE2 has some of those. The Jade holding designed to be bought with Jade Works seems interesting. Some interesting utility stuff. Some ridiculously expensive stuff. Lots of fortifications but no incentives to play with them, really.

I really like the new events. Both seem very powerful. Redirect has always been bonkers, but it has to sit there and be used. We'll see. The other event is an honor runner's dream come true. "I bow for the favor with this guy and then remove him from the game to fetch Ide Ryoi." Okay, three in every honor deck, got it.

Oh, and, Ess-Ry: https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman

Moto Eiji
White Guard

Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:45 am

Not a terrible set for us but not amazing either. Its right in the middle, I think. I really wish the Ide theme had gotten something a bit stronger on the battle side but I'll take the new Topaz Champ with a smile. I really should get around to making a Death Priest deck. With some Gold tweaks the Brotherhood sensei could be really fun, not sure though. Akikazu is probably better but I'll have to test it out.

As with ALitS, I can see some cards in here that would be good once the Battle Maiden theme kicks off so that's not too bad either.
Moto Eiji

Moto Naranbaatar
White Guard

Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:28 am

Do you guys think that Ikoma Ayumi is worth a slot in Unicorn decks? Remembering, she's non-unique.

http://imperialassembly.com/oracle/#car ... ardcount=1
Image Image

Shinjo Kinou
White Guard

Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:06 pm

I don't like the idea of paying 9g for a 4f naval out-of-clanner. It just doesn't have enough punch for the cost for my tastes.

Shinjo Atreyu
White Guard

Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:59 pm

Moto Eiji wrote:Not a terrible set for us but not amazing either.
I would disagree. A New Order is fantastic for Ide Honor. Consider the following:

-A Good Death is an auto-include for any Honor deck where military is predominant in the environment, which is basically everywhere.
-A New Alliance lets you shut down problem cards anywhere.
-Brazen Disregard, which is basically Improper Papers but with Flashback.

Those three alone are auto-includes in Ide Honor, and I'd argue the latter two are auto-includes in Military decks as well. Moving on, though...

-Ide Hideshi, who is a great honor ramp against military matches. He's an iffy choice against a rival honor rocket, but that's nor Honor's primary matchup, so it gets a pass here.
-New Factors gives an Honor if you ditch it for Courage. Given the prevalence of cards like Tested Blade in the environment, this is a solid card.

All in all, The New Order is better than just "not bad but not amazing". I'd personally rate it 7/10 just for these cards alone.

Other cards worthy of consideration:
-Remote Temple. Being able to have the ring of my choice in hand all the time is strong. I remember a great many decks in EE Playing The Seekers' Temple, an experience I shared to good fortune. And this version is 1G to boot.
-Sulphurous Swapms. Being able to control hand size by negating one of the primary Military methods of dealing with defensive Honor is very strong.
-Battle of Wits. Combined with things like Hidden Machinations it's basically a way to guarantee yourself net card draw for free every turn.
-Devestating Betrayal. The ability to redirect effects is very strong in Ivory; Emperor alone showed how powerful it was. The only drawback is that it sits in your province until you need to use it, else this would be in the "Strong cards" list up top.
-Seclusion. Being able to fish for your best personality is pretty good, though the cost of destroying a personality in play prevents it from being outright Great.
-Susumu Issei, for those of you who like Superfriends deck. Being able to re-use cards like Inexplicable Challenge is strong.
-Tamori Chikyu, for much the same reasons. He's basically Dragon's Breath Castle in a card.
-Undone by Enlightenment. Niche on it's own, it becomes an interesting option when combo'd with cards like Remote Temple. An honor deck that slots Air is guaranteed to get mileage out of this card.

So yeah. As an Honor player I'm liking this set quite a lot!
Jamie Vann - The Monstore - Montclair, California
CavalryTactician • Commander • Courtier • Imperial Explorer • Ki-Rin Clan • Samurai

Tinyozora
White Guard

Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:45 pm

A Good Death doesn't specify where the other target needs to be. Does that mean she can be anywhere or does she have to be at that battle?
Shinjo Ozora
Unicorn Clan * Samurai * Historian

Ide Eien - WC II
GM Team - WC III
Iuchi Wattu - WC IV

eganra
Ji-Samurai

Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:16 am

At the battle otherwise is would specify

Lammia
Ji-Samurai

Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:51 am

I liked 'Unforseen Cost', 'Underming the Otomo', 'Seclusion', 'New Factors', 'Otomo Bureacrat', 'Ide Hideshi', 'Emerald Asention', 'A Good Death', 'A New Alliance' and possibly 'Battle of Wits' for my Honour deck. Not yet sure what/if they will replace anything though.

Military seems less excited by this set, Though 'Iron Armor' seems interestingly and worthwhile.
I need to to give a huge (and rather late) thank you to all Winter Court 4 Unicorn players, especially our fearless leader. Thank you.

Utaku Yukino - WCIV

Moto Shintomo
Gunso

Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:14 am

Not overly thrilled with this set, but at least the Topaz Champion we got this time is playable for the theme was created for.

eganra
Ji-Samurai

Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:31 pm

My read on iron armour means you can't use the Cavalry trait with it

Ide She-Fa
White Guard

Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:31 am

Cavalry's a Rulebook effect, not a card effect, isn't it? It should work for Cavalry actions just fine.

As an Ide player, there's a bunch of things in this set that I think helps us out a lot. (Mostly already covered)
I wouldn't rule out Ide Igo, either. He'll be boxable when the new Stronghold shows up and his Courtesy trait is useful when it's active. The decks that give me the most trouble are the ones that start before me, so any extra advantage I can have versus them will be appreciated. Now I just need something to help against straight dishonor. That's still essentially an auto loss.

Moto Shitoku
Ashigaru

Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:28 am

I feel like I am looking at different cards to everyone else!

Most of the cards we got are pretty gold efficient. Tadasu's unstoppable battle ability is amazing and Negrui has a built in Okura Is Released. Tadasu is a very well designed card in that he is gold efficient in the correct deck.

If you are looking at the set for standard military cards, yes we didn't get much, but our best military deck at the moment is death priests, which is strong, and this deck now got a little more support.

In defense is great for us too. Unstoppable fear effects in the death priest deck are amazing.

I am not sure what format you guys are playing in at the moment, myself I am playing in strict because that is what the Ruby championship will be here. But in the strict environment, the two themes supported by recent sets are death priests and Takeru sensei.

I wouldn't base the strength of our set on whether or not we got an Utaku, or whether your favorite arch-type was supported, but on the merits of the cards that are released.

Looking at the other clans I feel like we got a pretty sweet deal this set.

The only card I felt Meh about was Saeki. And it's not like she's a bad card.

provoost
Ashigaru

Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:55 am

Moto Shitoku wrote:I feel like I am looking at different cards to everyone else!

Most of the cards we got are pretty gold efficient. Tadasu's unstoppable battle ability is amazing and Negrui has a built in Okura Is Released. Tadasu is a very well designed card in that he is gold efficient in the correct deck.

If you are looking at the set for standard military cards, yes we didn't get much, but our best military deck at the moment is death priests, which is strong, and this deck now got a little more support.

In defense is great for us too. Unstoppable fear effects in the death priest deck are amazing.

I am not sure what format you guys are playing in at the moment, myself I am playing in strict because that is what the Ruby championship will be here. But in the strict environment, the two themes supported by recent sets are death priests and Takeru sensei.

I wouldn't base the strength of our set on whether or not we got an Utaku, or whether your favorite arch-type was supported, but on the merits of the cards that are released.

Looking at the other clans I feel like we got a pretty sweet deal this set.

The only card I felt Meh about was Saeki. And it's not like she's a bad card.
I totally agree. I have a few strict decks I'm working on at the moment - Death Priests, duelling/fear and Takeru. I'm really pleased with these cards. :-)

Horiuchi Meimei
White Guard

Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:36 pm

I like what I saw for the Ide. The Death Priest stuff is incredibly underwhelming to me as it has been since Ivory base set and that's disappointing because I love Unicorn shugenja so much. Strict Priests just did not feel right with ALitS so maybe I'll try them again with TNO.
"The Mantis have power over thunder and lightning but there is more to the storm than that."

2012 Thunder Bay Kotei Winner
2013 Minneapolis Kotei Winner
2014 Green Bay Kotei Winner
2014 Thunder Bay Kotei Winner
Lots of t16/t8 and a few t4

• Information