evilmerlin
White Guard

Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:32 am

ImageImage

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Shinjo Eisai
White Guard

Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:50 am

So, all of current Ivory 2 people seems like they're still designed for the 5-gold starting economy (meaning we really want 5 gold worth of production bought on turn 1), and this change massively reduces the chances for that. I don't see the change to the going-second side fixing that at all, and on the fi5rst side, it's a nerf, plain and simple.

And then there's the consideration that free gold for the Mantis SH didn't change, AND Tsujiken sensei is still Ivory 2 legal. This just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, and barring massive other changes (like the gold costing of all our people) in New Order and Ivory 2, I fear they may have broken Unicorn with that change.
WC2: Ide Masaki
WC3: Yoritomo Tarao
WC4: Ide Tadan

Shinjo Dae-Hyun
White Guard

Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:21 am

Like I said in the other thread, we'll have to wait and see. I still have faith in play-testing and design right now.

Do you think we'd get an errata to the Ide Sensei giving it +1 GP?
Bushi • Commander • TacticianCavalry

Moto Eiji
White Guard

Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:21 pm

I doubt it. 6 gold after turn two would be pretty strong. For everything else we will have to wait and see.
Moto Eiji

Shinjo Dun
White Guard

Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:04 pm

All strongholds are located here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 648&type=1

I think that the gold production T1 change is bad, in every way possible. It really changes the deck design and gold structure for Unicorn, and I think this hurts the playability of Cloth Market. If a holding can't be purchased turn 1, unless it has a massive benefit, is it really worth playing?

Horiuchi Meimei
White Guard

Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:30 pm

I don't like the change either but I have to say that a true 5G box has not been good for the environment. I'd rather have the 4/5G box than force Design to make all of our future 5G guys into 6G guys. Guess I'll need to stock up on all the good 4G holdings like all those darn walkers out there.
"The Mantis have power over thunder and lightning but there is more to the storm than that."

2012 Thunder Bay Kotei Winner
2013 Minneapolis Kotei Winner
2014 Green Bay Kotei Winner
2014 Thunder Bay Kotei Winner
Lots of t16/t8 and a few t4

Iuchi Toshimo
White Guard

Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:57 pm

Aww, no more 12 gold turn two...
For deck construction, we're forced into everyone else's gold schemes so that we don't lose T1.
Makes many of our IvE1 people feel overpriced now. Hopefully it'll balance out.

I'm just sad that we have the same ability. I mean, it's a good ability, but all of our senseis are unplayable due to HR. I crave some variety.

Horiuchi Meimei
White Guard

Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:57 am

I'll miss the variety and flexibility of the 3/2 gold scheme we have now. The 4/2 schemes that 4G boxes have are not as interesting to me but I'll get used to it. It might still be worth running 1-2 Cloth Markets for the strong second turn purchase.
"The Mantis have power over thunder and lightning but there is more to the storm than that."

2012 Thunder Bay Kotei Winner
2013 Minneapolis Kotei Winner
2014 Green Bay Kotei Winner
2014 Thunder Bay Kotei Winner
Lots of t16/t8 and a few t4

Moto Seals
Emerald Champion

Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:20 pm

Well, it runs basically Crane Scout gold from earlier in the arc. Nice and best thing is we can run the 4f3 Holdings with less consequences seeing as we will still have 8 gold on turn 2.

The Cycle ability on any turn is amazing.

Double Decker
Nikutai

Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:30 pm

The reason Unicorn have been really strong this arc is because of our starting gold. The reason we have higher starting gold was because we used to have to pay for cavalry, I feel that this is not so much the case any more. In the Ivory Base Set we've had several reprinted/"soul of" cards with less gold cost than their originals, so I can understand why our starting Gold Production needs to be changed. That being said I don't like it either, but we have to deal with it regardless of whether we like it or not. Design are never going to change a card to make it better than it is. But it does mean we have some interesting options.

My initial idea was to play the 3 Coastal Paths, 3 Cloth Markets (for turn 2+), 3 Stables, 3 Forgotten Legacy, 1 Counting House and at least 3 or more 1 Gold Costing utility holdings.

My friends idea was to play 3 Forgotten Legacy and 13 utility holdings, all 1 Gold Cost for 1 Gold Production, including Bookkeeper etc. Although it does limit what deck you could play.
Top 16 Sheffield, UK Kotei 2012 (13th)
Top 8 Sheffield, UK Kotei 2014 (6th)
Top 16 Worlds Second Chance, Sheffield UK 2014 (9th)

Shinjo Kinou
White Guard

Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:38 am

Most clans have reprinted "soul of" personalities that cost less than the original (like the super B* that is Bayushi Shizuka/Saya) because they removed the option to pay 2 less gold for in-clan personalities in Ivory in order to simplify the rules. Our personality base in all of the Ivory sets so far still cost more than their equivalent strength non-cavalry counterparts, but it sounds like design is trying to bring that into balance with Ivory 2.

Moto Ess-Ry
Hohei

Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:49 am

he reason we have higher starting gold was because we used to have to pay for cavalry,
If only that were the case. We're still overpaying for equivalent cav military personalities in ivory, outside the soul of's (And Alagh is still a gold over where he should be based on other 4/2 cav personalities).

4g starting is actually the best possible thing if it means that will change.

Ide She-Fa
White Guard

Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:09 am

It's going to take some getting used to.
I suspect the other reason they did it is because of how well a 5G start works with the new Legacy holding compared to a 4G.

• Information