Vancouver 20F Arc second place Top unicorn

A great way to show your skills and show how your deck worked under fire. This is an open forum. Please indicate your final placing and the tournament size in your post.

Moderators: Shinjo Dalu, Ide Yesugei, Shinjo Magistrates

Ide Yesugei
White Guard

Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:12 pm

Tournament weekend Report
Friday – arrive at 9 am in BC and have breakfast after a 10 hour card ride I find I am too would to sleep so we eat and take a look at the phoenix honor rocket we’ve heard about but not tested. I haven’ t r3eally played a game since TCS so I figure sure I’ll be the meat bag instead of thinking I should really start testing a pony deck. I start it out and wow that thing is good and if I didn’t have ogres deck list I’d have been frantic. So after a 5 hour nap I say time to test play 2 games with Aranai Sensei, and 1 game with KC/Silme card draw monster and then figure I’ll have a beer or two with dinner. The remaining test games never happened and beer is good. I played one game with PDT ( well now ex PDT ) Randy Green who teaches me that dragon Kensal can bring pain and I make a note to change deck after a couple more drinks.

SO with no testing of note I decide.. sure why not and make a bunch of changes to the deck at 7 am. And come up with the following deck list

Now I knew I would have a tough time with dragon and with raven, Mike Petke, Aaron Frede and Greg Wong in the field I had a plan to fix that if required and I was unable to remember to do it on site as I was catching up with a lot of people. So away we go.

Round 1 – Mike Petke Dragon Kensal
Well round 1 and I knew I forgot to do something.. and thus karma reaches out and chomps down on me. Mike is a great guy and we chat a lot about our kids , previous matchups and our local scenes. We both get substandard gold starts and then he unleashes the fury, I can get him down to one province but nothing is reversing the hole I started in.
LVP - not packing reprisal
0-1
Round 2 – Chris “Starscream” Enns ( nickname to be described later)
Chris happened to be in town from Australia and hasn’t played in a longer time than I have. The new cavalry rules he needs to figure out how to adjust to as we chat about moving half way across the world and such. I bail on a battle when he is at 38 honor and next battle is 60 force to 3 at last his province. Chris is now 0-2 and says I’ll just win out from here ( very prophetic)
MVP - accessible terrain I never played it but just having it made this so much less stressful
1-1
Round 3 Mikey Fritsch (sp) Mantis with weapons
Not the standard blitz deck and finally the deck kicks the gold into high gear as we chat about NCAA hoops and meeting down in Seattle.. and out comes the Abbott with 2 cavalry dudes for me and he gets a gold flood. He loses two provinces and buys his second guy, attaches some scary attachments I new alliance and he has no game left
MVP : A new alliance and legion of the khan
2-1
Lunch – got a sandwich from Starbucks I defeated it with ease and got a tempura yam roll from the sushi place that took me to time.
Round 4 Chris Braun Spider meanness
Been friends with Chris for a long long long time… and really enjoy talking rasslin with him. The whole game I rely on my early cavalry advantage after starting with turn two Abbott coastal lane. he starts to build up in response.. he has two provinces left and we duke it out after I VtD his Ninube Shijo We trade actions back and forth and he uses inspired leadership to copy my Okiau -3f and then twisted one copies it again to kill two of my legions with range and an undone by elightenment(boo). I am force to bail on his blind honor as he has me, I lose the 4 peeps and my hand is not very good. I’ve been looking for a new alliance for quite a while now. Chris is prepping to lay the beats on me when I spirited dispute back both legions , he groans as the card draw kicks in and he buys kempeki I draw into 2 new alliance and 2 vtd and ensorcelled and 2 other draw a card options ( I believe his quote was “really murf!? WOW.””. I shut off his entire board of 7 guys and proceed to use stupid force and an occasional action to win.
MVP – card draw card draw card draw until I hit the answer
3-1
Starting to think I might be able to play this game until
Round 5 Aaron Frede Dragon Dueling Kensai
Well I am thinking he let me stay in house, eat his food and drove me to the liquor store maybe I should just let him win. Never had the option as I get substandard gold and he goes all plaid on me. I am forced to attack into 3 provinces to attempt to not lose on my next turn and succeed in clearing my board and buying a holding.
LVP – No reprisal.. still sitting in my bag
3-2
Round 6 Kevin Ho Scorpion Dishonor
This is where I can really see how need the Dancer is as the one force she gives before he can shut her off is game bending, he has 2 province before I am at -5 as cavalry beats him senseless as I have 2 10 f units thanks to dancer bonus
MVP Dancer +1 force is hot
4-2

one game to go.. and then the tourney goes dark for an hour.. computers crash software seizes and I really feel bad for them as they sort through things and eventually we get corrected pairings. First I was matched against spider only to be matched against spider

Round 7 Spider weennies Angus ( forgot his last name but he is expecting a newborn any day now)

He gets bad gold and I get good gold.. end discussion with a standing fast as he has no one left with an action at last battle only to find out that 40 force of pony is tough to survive.

5-2 MVP smoking hot double stables start
Looks like I made the cut.. woo hoo.. and top pony so I give the cool looking mug to Kasha as we clan loyals have to stick together. and wait for seeds turns out I am a perfect 10 .. out of ten.. so I get to play Case in the play in...

Play in to Round 8 Case Kiyonaga phx something military

No game as the extra hour of sitting around has not made Case any happier and he just want to eat and chill, asks me to win foil set for him and to speed up tourney he concedes
MVP no dinner break

5-2

Round of 8 Jeremy Holcumb Crab Dishonor.

Jeremy was undefeated all day for good reason. This was probably the best deck I saw all day. both games basically the same.. Dancer makes guys big enough to crack and ivory court+ spirited dispute + aranai's armour + clan armor means a lot of rehonored guys who have less than 3 ph.
Play til he drops me to negative a billion (k maybe say 25) and win last battle. Game 1 was a lot tighter as I'd never seen this before but my last card draw top decks a accessable terrain to undo his encircled for a 65 force swing

7-2 MVP rehonor tech and the dancer

Round of 4 Aaron Corn Scorpion Kensai military

The first game ends when Aaron conceded due to drawing an extra card. Turned out he hadn't while we shuffled. I had just added Naleesh to the board and was prepping for the kill when it happened but no matter game 2. we go to town on each other he plays multiple pacify, rewards of experience and force jabs and wins the decisive battle and I cant recover. we are playing under Modifiied palmer as the stire closed over an hour ago as we go to game 3. goes the same as game two as he has two provinces to my one after he wipes my board leaving me nothing but alagh with a legion of the khan to start trun vs he two straight defenders. I play spirited to get back two more legions and I draw into an ensorcelled and a standing fast and I have a 21 force Alagh unit with 43 gc worth of stuff in it as he is now the man. For allah.. he decided not to block to save time for the o. I top deck standing fast 2 he has 1 card in hand. time called. No one wants to win by Palmer.. I show him 2 standing fast and he knows it was over as I would have cleared him with no defenders left. Two epic games wirth replaying for sure.

9-3 MVP Alagh only time I used him really all day.

Now the store has closed basically 2 hours ago and starscream has failed me for the last time by not using phx turbo to knock out greg wong. As a diabetic the extra time has not been good to me and I am pretty woozy so I ask greg what are you doing with the pick. He says you aren't the target so I say great lets go eat. \end day

Final Greg Wong Dragon Shugenja Dueling

I can beat this deck if I do everything right and get lucky with sugars crashing I know that's impossible conceded. Gregs deck is also quite good but no match for Phx or crab I saw.

Props

Aaron Frede wicked host.. great place to crash
Greg Wong for winning and driving me to Vancouver
Aaron Corn for some great games
Magic stronghold for handling the event well, having a great space and not going nuts when the software died.
All the great people I got to talk to over the day.
Starbucks for free coffee refills.

Slops

The idiot who forgot to re-add reprisal to the deck.

Notes Not sure who has taken on phx turbo honor but that thing is a beast that will carry almost anyone who can count to a cut round. I'd change lots of choices just based upon that.
Diplomat * Host * All around fun guy

"Smiling makes me happy and others nervous"

Horiuchi Meimei
White Guard

Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:21 pm

Congrats on your performance! Too bad you didn't have the time or the blood sugar to battle for another Pony victory. :D
"The Mantis have power over thunder and lightning but there is more to the storm than that."

2012 Thunder Bay Kotei Winner
2013 Minneapolis Kotei Winner
2014 Green Bay Kotei Winner
2014 Thunder Bay Kotei Winner
Lots of t16/t8 and a few t4

Shinjo Yosama
Nikutai

Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:21 pm

Congrats Ide Yesugei, you did very well.

Shinjo Yosama

Shinjo Silme
White Guard

Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:16 am

Re congrats and thanks for the detailed report !
"My deck needs to be about 20% cooler"
"Oh putain !" : tribute to Crabi, L5R World Champion 2012
Tournament results

Ide Yesugei
White Guard

Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:31 pm

Thanks to all .. and silme I would have run honor if I could have found all the cards needed before the trip.

Shinjo Silme
White Guard

Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:32 am

Ok but i think making the same performance would have been far more complicated in honor.. but maybe i'm wrong...
"My deck needs to be about 20% cooler"
"Oh putain !" : tribute to Crabi, L5R World Champion 2012
Tournament results

Rudie
Ashigaru

Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:00 am

Congrats on the result, and gracefully done conceding to Greg.
Glad to hear the yam tempura got you through a couple rounds.
I got to watch most of the vs. Scorpion military matchup, it was a treat. Yes, it sucks that Aaron unnecessarily conceded, but you had him that game.
As an aside, I tweaked my deck to function a bit closer to yours, we'll see how it does in Thunder Bay this weekend.

Evan

Ide Yesugei
White Guard

Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:25 am

Good luck in t bay and say hi to mike Clark for me. Also I'd take a look at Hughes decklist from Richmond as it has most of the tweaks I'd be looking at ie reprisal etc.

TimothyLoago
Heimin

Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:59 am

Game #21861682

Turn 17 - hudannitt
h plays a Storeroom.
h gets 1 Buy.
h discards 2 Coppers and a Remake.
h draws a Province, a Remake and a Groundskeeper.

Expected to get offered second discard possibility - instead got only offered Villagers-play

• Information